Mum used to say "do not hold back and do what you can do, no matter how little". The emphases was on ' DOing some thing' and not just talking about it.
- Many teachers do not know what decile 1 schools look like : form inside.
- And only a handful teachers know that we also have 1A decile schools too.
- 1 A is a polite way of saying -1.
Now those who can imagine decile -1, for them , through this post, I am going to add my koha on regular intervals. Koha has to be ongoing and spot on too.
And as Khalil Gibran said that we must learn to “distinguish between the gift that is an insult and the gift that is a token of respect“.ie giving advice without strategy or action plan. Stop smoking or lose weight .........
The main pupose of this blog/post ( and updates ) is not asking for paki paki or chip on my shoulder or browney points for those who are invovled in this collaborative effort through going an extra mile ( s) in delivering high school Technology Curriculum on a shoe string budget. Funny I said that, becuase a shoe string is of no use in the absence of a shoe.
Example 1:: Current Project
( there will two more in one in Electronics and one in Food)
Year 12 Technology are making two projects ( 6 + 6 =+ 14 credits)
- An Electric Ukulele / Tahitian or Purtugese style ( due to 90% PI learners)
- A portable boom box with battery operated amplifier can be used with MP3
Resources :: or absence of resources or what resources, You just make up a an imaginery wish list , otherwise minimummm.
The biggest resource are
- People / teachers/ learners ,
- Couple of old mobile phones with camera
- 1 digital camera for 200 + learners and 5 teachers to share
- 5 Computers/ slow and steady on good day.
- they work at walking speed
- No wifi, it is forbidden word and will remain so for some years.
- No smart board hence perhahs not many smart learners
- Abundance of NO raw material and workshop tools idle
- No luxary of a technology technician
But overflow of will power and plenty of zest in staff, perhaps trying to prove that if this whole universe was made out of NOTHING then there is hope to create learning experiences by fetching out resourcers from the 'thin air '.
WHAT is In it for you
How to intergarte eLearning tools with Woodwork, Electronics, Music, and the whole of Technology Process /analysing , designing, refining , production, diverse evidence gathering for NCEA moderators.
We will work on this understanding that
Some times having little is a blessing in a disguise
Do not get me wrong we are NOT going to prove ourselves Jesus of Nazereth.
Miracles hardly happen in Decile 1 A schools.
It is DO-ing something about what you can do.
It is not about what you can't do .
Can't do is not DO-ing
DO-ing is Doing
no matter how microscopic.
Please visit this blog once a week as it will get updated twice a week.
- One off production process
- Batch manufactur
- 9 August
We have started with some casual reseach. and looked at one good looking guitar amplifier.
Aim to get some ideas on standards specifications, materilas used, functionality and output in terms of wattage.
Some learners have decided to sway away from the cubical design and some are honestly confused to follow any lead.
I am, on the otherhand, worried about the raw material for trailing out .
They have to perhaphs agree upon the batch method and it will require some quality controls and testing.
I have set up a Blogpage with what ever is comming in my old head.
Constarints can be hurdles and also blessings. I am not talking about NCEA constraints.
All workshop technology teachers are invited to see our blog and add a line or two of their skills/wisdom.We will appreciate your this koha