e-Learning: Professional Learning

e-Learning: Professional Learning

Exploring professional learning focused on e-learning.

How do you like to be treated as learners?

• Public
Started by Allanah King 28 Jan 2012 11:55pm (966 days ago) Replies (6)

On returning from Learning at School yesterday and making new connections an idea came to me through one of those new connections. 

I was reading Twitter follower Hineata Blair from Hamilton East School's blog this morning and was thrilled to see that she is intending to use an idea I did with my class last year with her new class this year.

We asked what were the five things that you would like your teacher to know about you and the way you learn and want to be taught. I wanted to support what she has done for her children by leaving a comment so I wrote my answers as an adult learner to the people who might teach me in a classroom or lecture theatre.

I am inviting people to share what they would like from their teachers on their blog posts and link to the blog so or as comments on my blog post

http://allanahk.edublogs.org/2012/01/28/what-i-want-my-teachers-to-know-about-me/

Replies

Phoebe Davis (View all users posts) 16 Mar 2012 1:32pm (918 days ago)

Kia ora

I love this and would use inthis in a classroom , in a workshop, lecture maybe. Thanks for sharingSmile

Merryn Dunmill (View all users posts) 30 Mar 2012 12:01pm (904 days ago)

Hi Allanah

This is great. I'm interested in how you used what the students shared with you in terms of informing your planning and their learning experiences. Do you have some examples you could share of how this played out?  And maybe, down the track, how students might reflect on what they offered - maybe to change their initial responses, give feedback to the teacher on what came through/reflected back/notice taken????

Thanks so much

Merryn

Allanah King (View all users posts) 30 Mar 2012 11:41pm (904 days ago)

The Google Presentation was for the next year's teacher. The children showed it to her. I no longer teach that class so I have had little contact with them since. One of the children wrote this story for his new teacher. Great student voice. Click on the cover to read the book.

My New Teacher

Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 30 Mar 2012 12:38pm (904 days ago)

This is a great idea. I enjoyed reading the different types of things that students wanted to share. While we do it for a different purpose, we also have students working on individual slides within one Google Presentation in our online ESOL school and we find it a great way to personalise work on each slide for different students. It is easy to keep an eye on their work as a teacher because you only have to have the one document open and then can move through the slides while the students work. One thing that people might need to be aware of is that, since Google upgraded Google Presentations, you have to use an up-to-date browser for this to work. Otherwise, students will find that they are in presentation view when the click the link to the presentation which means they will be unable to edit the slides.

Rebecca Ronald (View all users posts) 31 Mar 2012 10:21pm (903 days ago)

Looks great - is a neat idea. I've passed it on to other teachers at my school.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.