Talking about Facebook with students

• Public
Started by Jane Armstrong 15 Mar 2012 5:09pm (866 days ago) Replies (9)
Kia ora,

Sharing a question that came through on the Wire from Annemarie Hyde - can you help:
"I want your best ideas for talking about Facebook to intermediate age students!"

Can you help? Put your answer in this thread, as well as any other questions you have about Digital citizenship and Facebook with students.

Replies

Sandra Rolls (View all users posts) 15 Mar 2012 5:36pm (866 days ago)

Great resources here that we discussed at cluster day: 

https://sites.google.com/site/cybersafetyresources/

Jane Armstrong (View all users posts) 15 Mar 2012 5:50pm (866 days ago)

While no one under the age of 13 is allowed a Facebook account, the reality is many younger people do. Discussing what it means to be a digital citizen is essential part in enabling students to make good choices when living in a digital world.

NetSafe's Learn l Guide l Protect website has a variety of resources. I did a search students+facebook and the results are here http://www.mylgp.org.nz/search/facebook%20students/

On Enabling e-Learning there is a Digital citizenship module - Digtial citizenship and cybersafety in the classroom which has some useful weblinks and clips. In particular there are some resources in the Secondary activity which focus on identifying safe behaviours in the online social environment.

Facebook has an information page for parents and educators which provides some useful content.

Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 15 Mar 2012 7:41pm (866 days ago)

Here's a great resource for users (parents/teachers/students) of Facebook to consider @ 

http://ictpd-digital-citizenship-at-home.wikispaces.com/Facebook+identity

This includes:

• a video on the way Facebook is designed and formatted - with considerations for privacy issues

• top tips for do's and don'ts in Facebook - with detailed information on how to set privacy settings

• ways to protect identity, reputation and property in Facebook

Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 16 Mar 2012 9:30am (866 days ago)

Thanks Tessa - I knew I'd get great resources asking this question here.  I want to do an assembly piece on Monday too.  I'll take a leaf out of Brett Lee's book.  If you remember from his keynote at Learn@School a year ago?? he said he put up photos he'd collected from Facebook of students in the school.  Not incriminating photos - just innocuous photos that he found on Facebook after he did a search of the school's name. The students have a hernia when they see "their stuff" on display on the datashow in the hall.  He reminds them that that in fact, is what they have already done.  Students are often under the impression that their stuff is private and noone but their friends see it.

Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 16 Mar 2012 10:05am (865 days ago)

Good example Mrs Hyde- no-one can see their facebook page except maybe 320 of their friends! Of course, some of these friends they don't even know.

I did a parent's evening this week and the first thing many of them did, was go home and change their privacy settings themselves. Even the adults were unaware of the issues - like how much is too much information? First name, last name online? Identity theft and off-line safety. 

Was interesting watching Close Up last night too. Nelson school teaching chat room safety at Parklands School, highlighted the need for "parental involvement and education" to keep our kids safe online. 

Julia Weiersmuller (View all users posts) 15 Mar 2012 7:57pm (866 days ago)

Not specifically about Facebook, more digital citizenship as a larger concept. We ask our year 8 students to create an online presentation to show to our year 7s, creating an authentic scenario for year 8 students to identify and present the key concepts. I provide the resources from which they find the answers to their self-developed questions. 50% of the videos are stories from young teens who are victims of cyberbullying and predators. Students show a high level of interest in working out the message from the stories. During this unit I've been frightened by the lack of safety awareness shown by intermediate students.

http://www.delicious.com/stacks/view/NPI3xH

Deidre Senior (View all users posts) 16 Mar 2012 10:27am (865 days ago)

The other thing that we do as an Intermediate is to have our own school Facebook page to model the use of FB in a positive way.  This is of course targetted at parents but invariably there are always students who end up 'Liking' it too!  Not only does it model positive behaviour it is another way to celebrate things happening in our school and keeps our community informed.  (It worked particularly well on our Snow Days last year when were able to communicate decisions about the school being closed or late starts the following day.)  Oamaru Intermediate's Facebook Page

I wasn't at L@S to hear Brett Lee's keynote, but two years ago I did exactly that - I had some 'very cute' photos of students from our school that I had been able to get off FB. I also used a photo editing programme to add some bits to their faces etc. It really made them aware of the dangers of not understanding security settings and what people might do with these photos.  I was able to check many of these students profiles later in the day - they must have gone home straight away and sorted their settings as I couldn't access any of the photos I had the previous day.

Nick Ford (View all users posts) 16 Mar 2012 2:49pm (865 days ago)

I Googled "Facebook lesson plans" and the number 1 result is http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/lesson-plans/facebook-social-networking which looks OK  (it would have to be adapted to NZ context).

Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 27 Jun 2012 10:12am (762 days ago)

The following has just come into my inbox from the MLE listserve.

Check out these disturbing feeds from Facebook:

Shared by Kees Fransen

and 

How do I make sure that I don't end up on here?
    Just go to https://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=privacy (you have to be logged into your own Facebook account) and make sure Control Your Default Privacy is not set to "Public". You can set it to "Friends" but for the best privacy it is recommended you choose "Custom" and go through each option to choose who can see what. 

Shared by Bevan McNaughton (Intranet Manager) Southland Girls' High School

Join this group to contribute to discussions.