Search

Digital Citizenship Resources being developed - share your resources here!

Started by Claire Amos 10 Aug 2012 3:19pm () Replies (20)

Hi all,

Thanks to Karen and Tessa for getting this group up and running! I thought it might provide a nice platform for everyone to share the work and resources being developed around this topic. Below I will add the projects and resources i am involved in. Would love to see what else is out there and how we might work together!!

Replies

• Claire Amos (View all users posts) 10 Aug 2012 3:28pm ()

The Digital Citizenship Project

A few months ago I started thinking about creating an online course for our students at EGGS – something that would be available to students that would provide an introduction to the concept of Digital Citizenship. Once I thought about it being online I started to think it might be cool to collaborate with other schools…long story short it all went online and gave birth to a bit of a national project that is being backed by NEAL Education, NetSafe and the National Library and involves 30+ educators from around the country working together to create three Digital Citizenship Courses (Primary, Intermediate and Secondary), each with 10 modules. These are designed to be either used modules intergraded in wider courses of study or as a stand-alone 10 module course.

The aim is to have the Google Site and WikiEducator versions ready as teacher resources to do a low key "launch" at Ulearn and a Secondary Moodle course available to all NZ students in 2013.

You can check out the progress on the various platforms below.

The Digital Citizenship Project Google Doc Planning Sheets

The Digital Citizenship Project Google Group

The Digital Citizenship Project Google Site (work in progress)

• Claire Amos (View all users posts) 10 Aug 2012 3:33pm ()

A Digital Citizenship Resource (Site) for Teachers

This is intended to be a kind of “advice and guidance” document that had been put together for our staff at EGGS. Let me know what you think of the structure, content etc. Any suggestions welcome. It will continue to evolve as our needs change. 

Here is a link to the nearly completed site:

https://sites.google.com/a/staff.eggs.school.nz/digital-citizenship-guidelines-for-teachers/home

Mark Osbourne (from ASHS) is also helping to create a WikiEducator version as well, all content is CC so feel free to use, remix anything that looks useful for your schools

The Digital Citizenship Guidelines on WikiEducator

I have also created an external copy of the Google Site, just let me know if you would like me to make you "an owner" if you would like to make a copy of the site, so you can redevelop it that way...

You can contact me at am@eggs.school.nz

Cheers

Claire

• Mike Wilson (View all users posts) 20 Aug 2012 12:57pm ()

Hi Claire, what your doing looks very impressive and so much more powerful than everyone inventing the wheel. Will add a few links to your document. BTW I think your use of Google docs would be an excellent "exemplar" of how to use the service in a very effective way.

Mike

• Amy McCauley (View all users posts) 18 Sep 2012 9:01pm ()

Just had a proper look at the resources you have shared here -  they are amazing.  A lot of hard work and great thinking gone into these vital resources.  Thanks for your time and sharing of all of this, it has been a great help.

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 19 Sep 2012 9:15am ()

Online social giants YouTube and Facebook have taken big steps to attempt to provide guidance on digital citizenship for kids online. Google (which owns YouTube) just launched its ten-step online program for smart and safe YouTube use, with a series of instructional videos that hit on topics from cyberbullying to privacy. And Facebook has teamed up with Edutopia to help schools create social media guidelines.

sourced from 21st Century Fluency Project.

• Sonya Van Schaijik (View all users posts) 26 Sep 2012 6:41pm ()

http://www.edutopia.org/blog/film-festival-digital-citizenship

Five Minute Film Festival: Teaching Digital Citizenship.

This site shares 9 elements of Digital Citizenship.

Quite Clear and runs along the same pathway as when we use SuperClubsPLUS- now Skoodle when teaching about Digital Citizenship

• Ray Burkhill (View all users posts) 09 Oct 2012 9:29am ()

A new offering from Microsoft, intended for high school use and focusing on digital citizenship, intellectual property rights and creative content.

http://digitalcitizenshiped.com

You have to register, but it's free. Some good technical info in this one, if a little dry.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 16 Oct 2012 2:06pm ()

It was great to see many references made to Digital citizenship, digital literacies and cybersafety during Ulearn12. I was lucky enough to share some resources on this as well, at Ulearn. The presentation, templates and related resources can be accessed here Digital Citizenship @ Ulearn.

Anyone else attend any Digital Citizenship workshops at Ulearn - and would like to share new discoveries here?

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 18 Oct 2012 10:08am ()

Today I'm thinking about ways to co-construct an Inquiry around Digital Citizenship. I'm off to view the recording of the Enabling e-Learning webinar on Using inquiry to build digital citizenship (6 June, 2012) again and explore how the Kids resources in DIGIZEN.ORG can help to guide a student inquiry into becoming a successful Digital Citizen.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 01 Nov 2012 10:30am ()

Stage One: Digital Citizenship Workshop with Y7's and Y8's

Anne Sturgess and myself are co-facilitating an inquiry on Digital citizenship with some yr 7 and 8 students.

Before we immersed the students with Digital Citizenship resources, we  wanted to know their current perspectives about Digital citizenship and cybersafety issues.

We used an activity downloaded from the Digizen site called, Digital Values - where you can quickly find out your students' moral compass, by posting statements around the room, such as, 'Using mobile phones in classrooms' and 'Forwarding on nasty texts about other pupils' etc.

The students then post responses to the scenarios such as, 'right', 'wrong', 'depends on the situation', 'it's an individual choice', 'what's the big deal' etc. 

Moral compass 1

Moral compass 4

IMG_0632.JPG Moral compass 2
    Moral compass 5 Moral compass 6

We’d also like to revisit this activity at the end of the learning sequence and see of their opinions have changed.

The original activity can be accessed via the Digizen site and here's a Word doc you can print and use for this activity as well.

Has anyone else done something similar with their students?

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2012 11:52am ()

Stage Two: Digital Citizenship Workshop with Y7's and Y8's

Following on from the initial scoping activity (see above), we presented some resources (in the immersion phase of the inquiry process) to facilitate new thinking about Digital citizenship.

This included sharing a Prezi presentation on the concepts and issues associated with the term ‘Digital Citizenship’.

The students were then asked to tease out key ideas that spoke to them most.

Key ideas1   Key ideas2

Similarities in individual responses would help to form the smaller inquiry groups. Key concepts turned out to be:

The students were introduced to further digital resources (games, videos, multi-media, text) embedded in a wiki, so they could investigate individually, in pairs or as a group.

Digital resources wiki

The expectation is that the findings in each group will help to clarify a series of focus questions, that will become part of digital presentations - to later inform a chosen audience.

More to come…

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 08 Nov 2013 1:28pm ()

I've recently shared this lesson sequence with the 'moral compass' idea, with some teachers and have since had a request for a junior set of questions to use as a moral compass too.

I've started to have a go in this shared Google doc and would love some feed-in. Please add your own junior-oriented statements too Smile.  

Thanking you in advance!

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 20 Nov 2012 9:31am ()

Here are some more great resources on Cyber Safety shared this morning from the wonderful Mr G via his blog.

http://mgleeson.edublogs.org/2012/11/19/cybersafety-websites-for-parents-teachers-and-students/

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Digital Citizenship

Digital Citizenship

A group to support schools help their students, staff and whānau become digital citizens