Search

Appraisal, practicing teacher criteria and your e-learning goals

Started by Tessa Gray 01 Mar 2013 1:41pm () Replies (38)

Kia ora tatou, 

By now, you and your colleagues may be setting professional learning goals and these will undoubtedly align with the Practicing Teacher Criteria. You will also be familiar with 'Teaching as Inquiry' model, which is central to effective pedagogy as outlined in the NZCBy combining these two processes, teachers can make some clear decisions about their own professional learning and development goals for this year which can in turn feed into the appraisal process.

imageQUESTION: How many of your teachers have learning goals that incorporate some aspect of e-learning?

In this thread, we'd like to unpack the appraisal process with particular reference to e-learning goals. In doing so, we can explore stories, share examples, tips and advice on how:

• we can set goals that integrate e-learning to reflect current classroom practice and meet our learners' needs, particularly our Māori and Pasifika students and those with identified learning needs.
  • our e-learning goals align with registered teacher outcomes and are part of the appraisal process.
  • we might use online spaces to collect evidence of how our inquiry is going against the registered teacher criteria.
  • school leaders can support teachers to incorporate e-learning into goals during the appraisal process

Enabling e-Learning is also pleased to announce that the Registered Teacher Criteria and e-learning resource is now live! Teachers can access e-learning examples that support each of the twelve criteria. More great ideas on this theme can be found in, Appraisals and technology.

So, pop in, free free to introduce yourself, tell us where you're from and your perspective on appraisal and e-learning goals. We'd love to hear what you, your syndicate/department or school is currently doing in relation to this process. 

Replies

• mary jamieson (View all users posts) 04 Mar 2013 7:27am ()

Kia Ora everyone.  As part of my work with teachers for School Support Services I looked at effective coaching and mentoring of teachers within schools and the use of the Registered Teacher Criteria for teacher reflection and appraisal.  I have used Myportfolio in my own practice as a reflective tool and a place to gather evidence for registration and the professional standards.  I used tags that helped me categorise the RTC when entering comments/reflections. This made it so much easier when talking through my portfolio with others.  The collection of evidence need not be a huge added extra.  There are ways of integrating reflection and recording of evidence into your everyday work.  How are you managing this?

• Mary-Anne Murphy (View all users posts) 04 Mar 2013 7:56am ()

Kia ora,
    Like Mary I have had a lot of experience working in the realms of teacher registration and appraisal. I have also found "tagging the learning journey" a really important aspect of recording professional learning. Whether it be tags within My Portfolio, or labels within a Blog, these need to be considered carefully when putting together a record of professional learning, so info is easily retrievable and pathways and connects can be shown.
    Class blogs/websites, etc are also a rich source of PLD evidence; how are you making connects with these sources of evidence as part of your own professional learning records? 

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 04 Mar 2013 10:13am ()

Kia ora tatou, what a glorious morning!

Thank you Mary and Mary-Anne for popping in and adding your gems if wisdom already. There is an opportunity to set e-learning goals for the classroom (like you might find in the Teaching and Learning dimension in the e-Learning Planning Framework), but there's also an opportunity to capture this process using e-learning tools, such as MyPortfolio.

One example of how teachers have already used MyPortoflio as a reflection tool can be viewed in, Tauranga Intermediate e-Portfolio Journey.

imageThe idea of tagging is a Top Tip, especially if you wanted to keep this journal as a living document, that can travel with you as an educator, anywhere. It would also be a valuable asset to show potential employers as well (as noted in Take the 30 Day challenge).

Alongside Mary Jamieson and Mary-Anne Murphy, we welcome guest forum mentors - Karen Mills (syndicate leader/classroom teacher, VLN Member of the Week),  Gerard Macmanus (secondary teacher, VLN Member of the Week), Suzie Vesper (classroom teacher, ex Digi-advisor, VLN Member of the Week), Jan-Marie Kellow (Blended e-Learning facilitator), Barbara Reid (Blended e-Learning facilitator), Jane Armstrong (Enabling e-Learning), a well as a surprise guest- who will all be on hand to answer your questions and share their expertise.

So, tell us what your goal setting process looks like for 2013. Does it include electronic journals or e-portfolios for teachers?

• JMKellow (View all users posts) 05 Mar 2013 1:18pm ()

Kia ora

This is certainly a timely discussion. The Registered Teacher Criteria and e-learning resource is a really useful one and it is great to see it now available on tki.

Some schools I have worked with have asked all teachers to include an e-learning goal each year with the nature of the goal determined by the teacher in consultation with their appraiser, other schools have had a specific goal that all teachers have to include eg to establish and use a class blog. The latter has usually been related to the schoolwide focus in their school's annual plan. Other schools don't ask for an e-learning focus at all and it is only included where a specific need is identified.

What happens at your school? Which way would you prefer?

• Jan Tinetti (View all users posts) 05 Mar 2013 9:41pm ()

Kia ora

This is a really interesting and timely discussion topic as we are currently revising appraisal procedures within our school.

I personally don't like the idea of asking teachers to include e-learning goals or even setting a specific e-learning goal. I find this forced and almost becomes a tick box scenario. Our teachers are developing goals based upon the philosophies that underpin the school. These are seen in our key entrustments, values and our learner profile. While e-learning doesn't sit as a specific area on its own it does support and enhance many of the desired skills and attributes that sit within our learner profile. Therefore e-learning generally becomes the vehicle to support the goals developed to realise our vision for our school. 

After our 3 years in the ICTPD cluster contract we are finding 2013 our year where this is really coming together for us.

I hope this all makes sense Cool

• mary jamieson (View all users posts) 05 Mar 2013 10:18pm ()

Hi Jan

I agree with you about goals becoming forced.  Goals should fall out of the teacher inquiry cycle as part of reflection on practice.  However, we also expect teachers to relate their goals to school goals, which has an aspect of the 'forced' about it if those goals are related to an area different from a teacher's current inquiry.   When reflecting on practice and collecting evidence for registration we need to remember RTC 9 which talks about using technologies to support learning.  As you say, e-learning is a 'vehicle' . I would love to hear more about your appraisal review process and challenges.  Thank-you for sharing with us.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 06 Mar 2013 11:28am ()

Kia ora tatou and thanks Jan and Mary, great debate around the idea that, 

As leaders, should/would/could we ask teachers to include e-learning as part of their professional learning and inquiry goals?

This is a great conversation to continue.

I'm wondering about another possible idea to discuss too, which is,

Can we expect teachers to show evidence of their own critical reflection of their teaching practice - in a digital form?

Reflection using e-tools Nick Rate made some connections between the Registered Teacher Criteria, Teaching as Inquiry and professional e-Portfolios in his blog post, More on Registered Teacher Criteria and Professional ePortfolios. 

Suzie Vesper has elaborated on some possible straetgies for reflecting on teacher practice using e-tools in her blog post, Using ICT tools to reflect on your teaching

Gerard Macmanus has also talked about the benefits of e-Portfolios - for the purposes of critical reflection @ Appraisals and technology.

What does everyone else think about this? Any successes, issues, solutions to share?

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 06 Mar 2013 10:05pm ()

Let's not forget about teachers' blogs which could provided two kinds of evidence towards e-learning goals - the content and the use of the blog platform & connection with others through the blog. I have tried myportfolio myself and find my blog more useful for me at this point in time because I can get feedback from anyone who cares to read and comment. Admittedly not everyone's approach, but still if a teacher is willing to write a blog, this could be incuded into the appraisal process as evidence.

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 06 Mar 2013 1:14pm ()

Hi all.  I've been reading the responses here with interest.

One thing that I have often suggested to schools is that they unpack the Registered Teacher Criteria as a school and decide on what each criteria might look like in their school. They can then make sure that e-learning is highlighted as part of this. For instance, this is the RTC self-assessment tool that was developed by Massey University for the Teacher's Council that I have adapted into a Google Spreadsheet. If I was a school I would work through this and add key indicators, questions and strategies that relate to e-learning as appropriate for that school. Teachers could then set goals from this and be expected to reflect against all areas.

If there really is a teacher that doesn't feel comfortable setting a goal incorporating e-learning, I think that we can expect them to use e-learning as part of their reflections on the process. You could ask them to write up their reflections in blog posts or a Google Doc.  This could be a way of bringing up teacher confidence with digital tools by requiring that they use them for adminstrative purposes related to reporting on their goal.  This could then lead to discussions on how to use these tools effectively with students.

• Mary-Anne Murphy (View all users posts) 07 Mar 2013 1:02pm ()

Hi Suzie and All.

I like the approach you speak about whereby those teachers who are more hesitant in having an e-learning goal (for their class setting?) is expected to use e-learning as part of their reflections process. This is not an opting-out, but rather a stepping stone that facilitates further learning in an integral manner.

This is a google site I created that tries to pull together the different documents, and can be a platform for teachers to springboard from into other areas such as a blog as part of their Teaching as Inquiry and Appraisal documentation. I would welcome feedback or questions on it.

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 07 Mar 2013 1:26pm ()

Thanks, Mary-Anne, this look neat! Just like we are adapting our approaches and providing stepping stones for our students who are at various levels, teachers need a variety of approaches also because they, too, are at various levels.

I belief we can divide e-learning goals in appraisal in at least two categories: Use of the tools, and teaching while using the tools. Your example seems to be more towards the former, a bit like learning how to use a hammer, so you can gain confidence in attacking the latter - maybe building your first bird house lol. To stay with this example, students would get bored if all they ever did was learn about the hammer and hammer in nails in a practice piece of timber - this is where I see your tab "Professional Inquiry and Appraisal" come in, and I would be quite tempted to make this the 'Home' tab, at least after a little while.

How do we then encourage (push?) the (reluctant?) teacher to move towards having an e-learning goal in their appraisal? For some it will, for others it won't come naturally (a bit like teaching your teenager to clean up their room?).

Just to play the devil's advocate, are we letting a teacher 'off the hook' if we are letting them 'get away' with just using the tools? Will this "equip young New Zealanders to participate and contribute towards a world increasingly shaped by ICT, e-learning and ubiquitous digital connectivity" as MoE says in their Statement of Intent 2010 - 2015?

• Mary-Anne Murphy (View all users posts) 07 Mar 2013 1:37pm ()

Hi Monika

Many thanks for your feedback; I like your hammer analogy to looking at the two aspects of tools and teaching while using the tools.

I absolutely hear what you are saying in relation to teacher use of etools, and yes, the goal is for teachers to actively model the use etools as part of their teaching. Cool

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 06 Mar 2013 1:24pm ()

And of course, the Registered Teacher Criteria and e-learning section of the Enabling e-Learning website is a resource that can be pulled in as part of the audit I suggest above. Strategies and ideas can be taken from there to help flesh out the self-assessment tool.

• Jennifer Glenn (View all users posts) 06 Mar 2013 3:31pm ()

We're connecting the elearning goals to the inquiry process -  we're talking about these goals in terms of how the 'elearn' inquiry will improve student learning and/or achievement - especially as connected to our annual school goals.

Although elearning is a school-wide focus, there's room for teachers to have a different inquiry as long as it is evidence based.  We have a small elearn focus group where their goal will have an elearn focus - but they requested that last year.

It's great to be a part of a community exploring the same territory

• JMKellow (View all users posts) 09 Mar 2013 6:58pm ()

It is really great to see that learning is the focus with e-learning seen as a way to support and enhance achievement. 

Where there is a goal with an e-learning aspect, what processes are being followed to check on the effect e-learning is having on achievement?

Anyone using My Portfolio or another form of e-portfolios as part of the teacher appraisal process?

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 09 Mar 2013 7:55pm ()

Absolutely, Jan-Marie! At our school we embedded the Ruia Appraisal tool into Myportfolio and made it a collection of pages that all teachers can edit and show evidence of their teaching and learning practice.  

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 05 Aug 2015 12:51pm ()

Hi Leigh, thought it would be cool to cross-post your valuable resources shared in the Facebook for teachers group on Google sites for Registered Teacher Criteria here smiley if that's ok?

Leigh's example in Google sites here. Do you have any other gems to add?

• anne robertson (View all users posts) 07 Aug 2015 6:23pm ()

Hi Tessa, 

I have this presentation - also on Pond - that I am happy for people to use to help explain the way that RTCs can be mapped through inquiry.  I have found that many teachers and principals are still not aware of the changes.  

This is a link to the document that the DP and SCT at Waikato Diocesan developed after going to the workshops last October. 

It is published under a CC License and they are happy for it to be shared.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 27 Oct 2015 10:31am ()

Thank you for these examples Anne, very helpful. You might be able to join us in further discussion in tomorrow's LIVE online event: 

Smile LIVE WEBINAR: Digital portfolios for teachers (October 28, 3.45 -4.45pm) 

More and more teachers are creating professional spaces online for; teacher inquiry, goal setting, reflections, appraisals, Registered Teacher Criteria, CVs and more. Come and join Leigh Hynes and others and together we'll explore the potential of online tools to create digital portfolios for teachers. We'd also love to hear how you archive your teaching journey as well. This webinar will be supported by a thread in the Enabling e-Learning | Teaching group. Hosted in Adobe Connect with Tessa GrayREGISTER NOW!

Or join us directly @ http://connect.vln.school.nz/eelwebinar/

In the meantime, some further examples of reflective journals and online portfolios can be viewed here:

REFLECTIVE TEACHER: REFLECTING ON TEACHING AND 21ST CENTURY LEARNING - Edublogs

Reflections on teaching - Edublogs

Sandy's teacher registration - Blogspot

My Journal - My Portfolio

My reflective Journal - Google site

Another related VLN thread to dive into, Blogging Teaching as Inquiry as Appraisal

Any other digital examples to share?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.