Search

Powering Pasifika families using technology tools

• Public
Started by Anthony Faitaua 19 Jul 2013 5:13pm () Replies (3)

Empowering Pasifika families using eLearning tools

Talofa, Kia orana, Mālō e lelei, Ni sa bula, Fakaalofa lahi atu, Talofa ni,

I'd be interested to find out how to empower Pasifika parents and families with elearning so they understand what their children are learning in schools using technology tools and devices. If you have any fantastic resources, I'd be keen to discuss some more.

Replies

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 01 Aug 2013 4:52am ()

Kia ora Anthony - For me it's all about access.  If you're working in a school a great place to start might be via the Māori Medium e-Learning Planning framework - under Te Taiao Ako - 'Kōrero' phase - Is the kura aware of the e-capability of their whānau?

Every situation will be different and if schools are using e-Learning tools they'll be using them in different ways. I would consider a 'show and tell' session where Pasifika parents and families are invited in to check out what their tamariki are doing with the tools.  I think that it would be very empowering for fanau to see if their children are able to articulate how they are learning from using the tools.  The 'show and tell' session could then become a 'tutu' session especially for those who may not have access to using e-Learning tools in the home.  

Hope this helps to trigger some ideas for you e hoa x

• Togi Lemanu (View all users posts) 01 Aug 2013 9:33am ()

Talofa lava Anthony,

I would agree with Moana with having a 'tutu' session.  Also I think having a discussion with parents about 'what they know and don't know about e-learning?'.  With you being a Pasifika facilitator and having a relationship with the Pasifika 'aiga' would open their thoughts, questions and queries about e-learning tools that their children are using for their learning.  This sort of discussion would open up many more opportunities for our Pasifika aiga to be part of their childrens learning using e-learning tools. 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.