Search

Using a SOLO assessment rubric with LEARNZ virtual field trips

• Public
Started by Shelley Hersey 12 Aug 2013 12:30pm () Replies (10)

Take a look at this draft SOLO assessment rubric for use with LEARNZ field trips. It has been put together as a teacher's document to show how to use LEARNZ more deeply. This is a working document so please share any feedback you have:

What do you think about this rubric, how might you change it to suit your class and would you like to see anything added to it?

You can view and download the rubric here.

The next step will be to create a student friendly version.

SOLO Taxonomy (structure of observed learning outcomes) can be used to help students change the way they think about their own learning outcomes and self assess. You can find out more about SOLO here.

Replies

• Pete Sommerville (View all users posts) 12 Aug 2013 12:42pm ()

Hi Shelley this is a really good start. It will be interesting to see how this develops as teachers and others with experience of the SOLO taxonomy contribute to it.

• Jo Dudley (View all users posts) 12 Aug 2013 2:04pm ()

Hi Shelley Great to see SOLO incorporated into LEARNZ to differentiate the learning. Be good to have some of the HOT maps and/or other similar graphic organisers accompanying the various outcomes to give something concrete for teachers to pick up and use as a framework and/or scaffold.

• Shelley Hersey (View all users posts) 12 Aug 2013 5:23pm ()

Hi Jo, thanks for sharing your ideas - which HOT maps/graphics do you use in your class? Do you think there are particular ones that would be useful with LEARNZ? We are keen to get ideas from teachers about what would be effective so we can co-construct a useful framework.

• Sue Hodge (View all users posts) 12 Aug 2013 2:21pm ()

Fantastic to see SOLO incorporated into LEARNZ for even deeper learning. The goldmine for SOLO ideas and resources is Pam Hook's wonderful website: http://pamhook.com/

• Pam Hook (View all users posts) 12 Aug 2013 9:17pm ()

I love the thought that has gone into SOLO differentiated generating success criteria for the preparation, during and after phases of a LEARNZ field trip. It will be so helpful in differentiating learning outcomes for the LEARNZ experience. 

I believe your next challenge is to take this overview of the LEARNZ experience and simplify each bulleted thread it so it becomes something that students might embrace.

In my experience teachers can cope with lots of text but students get overburdened. For example - preparation for a LEARNZ trip seems to involve - reading background pages, completing activities and asking questions - aka Functioning Knowledge. The HookED Functioning knowledge rubric generator   might help create success criteria for reading, completing and asking and allow student contribution in terms of effective strategies.

Try

verb; prepare for

content: a LEARNZ feld trip

context: to "X"

Then add the preparation elements of "reading background pages", "completing activities" and "asking questions" as bulletted points in the first column. 

Students can share their effective strategies for moving across levels

Regards

Pam

• Shelley Hersey (View all users posts) 13 Aug 2013 9:53am ()

Hi Pam, thanks for your feedback. What an honour to have you involved! I'll follow up with your suggestions. This draft was made to help teachers realise the depth and range of learning experiences provided in a single field trip and I certainly agree that we need a simplified rubric for use by students so they can track their own learning.

Thanks again for your help and I look forward to more feedback as these documents evolve.

• Pam Hook (View all users posts) 13 Aug 2013 10:04am ()

My pleasure - is great to see other ways in which SOLO is being used in primary and secondary contexts - as you suggest - using SOLO to help differentiate learning outcomes for a LEARNZ experience makes the diverse learning opportunities on offer visible in a nuanced way.

• Jo Dudley (View all users posts) 13 Aug 2013 11:19am ()

Hi all. Shelley you asked about what HOT maps to use. Pam's website has a huge amount of info' in it to refer to. eg: http://pamhook.com/mediawiki/images/6/60/SOLO_Taxonomy_and_HOT_Maps.pdf Also in her book: "Solo Taxonomy for Schools" SOLO target vocabulary and learning verbs have been pulled out with associated "maps" to develop these. So ... take the key verbs you have in the rubric and link them to an associated "map". From the book: " There are HOT SOLO maps for: bringing in ideas (uni and multistructural: define, describe), connecting ideas (relational: sequence, classify, cf, cause and effect etc...) and looking at connected ideas in a different way (eg generalise, reflect, predict, justify, evaluate)

• Shelley Hersey (View all users posts) 21 Aug 2013 11:37am ()

Kia ora koutou, thanks Jo, Sue and Pam for your valuable feedback about the teacher's SOLO rubric for LEARNZ field trips. I've now created a draft student version divided into three rubrics to cover preparation for a field trip, participating in a field trip and after a field trip. These rubrics and HOT maps have been developed using Pam Hook's work http://pamhook.com/ 

The idea was to provide a general overview of how LEARNZ could be used and what sort of progression students could work through and use for self-assessment. The challenge is to provide something useful but not prescriptive as LEARNZ can be used in a variety of ways. Take a look at the rubrics and it would be great to hear what people think! Smile

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

LEARNZ

LEARNZ

Teacher area for LEARNZ free virtual field trips for NZ schools