Search

e-Learning tools for 5 year olds?

• Public
Started by Marnel van der Spuy 18 Aug 2013 6:56pm () Replies (8)

I am really interested in a classroom that promotes e-Learning and am using e-Learning tools to enable and transform learning.

Which e-Learning tools can you think of to use with our 5 year olds and why would you choose that specific tool with your students?

Replies

• Fiona Robertson (View all users posts) 18 Aug 2013 7:17pm ()

Hi 

I use to use http://vocaroo.com with my 5 year olds. the reasons why I used this was because it records students thinking. When our little ones still can't write, but have tried really hard I would take a photo of their writng and then record them reading it. Then post the photo of thier writing along side the voice recording.I also used tux paint. The children would draw a picture to show what they were going to write about then type in thier story. You have to take a screen capture of this to place on the blog.

• Marnel van der Spuy (View all users posts) 19 Aug 2013 11:29pm ()

Hi Fiona

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on vocaroo. I know about it, but have never used it with my 5 year olds. I like your idea of using it to record your students thinking!

Have you tried Fotobabble? It's a cute, fun way to share and it allows students to create and share Talking Photos in three simple steps: 1) Upload a photo; 2) Record your voice; 3) Share (post on a blog).

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 19 Aug 2013 10:49am ()

Kia ora Marnel - are you interested in iPad apps or only online web tools?

: )

• Marnel van der Spuy (View all users posts) 19 Aug 2013 11:12pm ()

Kia ora Catriona

Thank you for your question.

I am interested in all e-Learning tools (online, iPod, iPad) that will/can capture student learning (tools that 5 year olds can use independently), as well as ones I can use within my Formative Assessment Practices.

Smile

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 20 Aug 2013 11:46am ()

Kia ora again Marnel,

Have I got the app for you! : )  also available on andriod and online 

PicCollage

Last week I worked in a new entrant room working on word families, lettersounds and blends all using the fabulous and versatile PicCollage app.

As will not surprise you, the students quickly picked up the workings of the app and went off happily to work independently on their word/letter tasks.

Initially I had provided them with some images in the letter of the week (V) to help them along but generally I would expect that they can find their own images.

This week the teacher emailed me yesterday to say she has now included it in her reading tumble and the children enthusiastically and independently worked to complete letter/blend charts. They have so many skills from this one app that will transfer into them using other apps and online tools, photo taking and editing, text colour, font, size, cutting out an image, placing images on a page... 

Example below : ) 

PicCollage.jpeg

• Marnel van der Spuy (View all users posts) 20 Aug 2013 8:20pm ()

Kia ora Catriona,

Wow, I like the potential of this! Thank you so much for sharing. Smile

• Cherryl Eden (View all users posts) 20 Aug 2013 8:38pm ()

E-learning is embedded across most activities during our school day. Children use the ipads and write with Pages. They use Book Creator to take photos and interview each other. Vocarro and Audio Pal are great computer tooks children can use to record them selves reading or sharing ideas. The same process is also carried our with Audio Boo on the ipads.There is often great relection as they listen to themselves. These tools are useful for developing expressive reading. Photos of class activities are arranged with Pic Collage. A variety of phonics and spelling apps are used in our reading programme. The children have several favourite apps used in our maths lessons and their present favourite is Slide100. I teach a group of more confident children the new skills and then they are the "helpers and teachers" for their peers.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.