Do you flip your classroom?!

• Public
Started by Enabling e-Learning 11 Aug 2011 9:54am (1168 days ago) Replies (4)

This is a great post here from Shelley Wright, who describes the way she uses technology - particularly online video resources - to help students engage with science content knowledge prior to exploring inquiries in the classroom:

She explains that:

"The flip that I’m talking about is the flipped classroom or reverse instruction.  It’s called the flip because, essentially, it reverses traditional teaching. Instead of lectures occurring in the classroom and assignments being done at home, the opposite occurs. Lectures are viewed at home by students, via videos or podcasts, and class time is devoted to assignments or projects based on this knowledge. It’s different from traditional homework because students know that we won’t spend the next class period going over the content they’ve engaged with at home. Instead, we’ll use it as a springboard into deeper discussion and activities. Brilliant....

None of this is passive learning. My students are required to interact with the knowledge that is being presented to them. The videos are posted on our wiki, which now serves as our digital textbook. Our wiki is custom-designed to support what we’re learning. Students can then respond with either a blog post sharing their thoughts, or through interaction with their peers in a wiki discussion tab."

So, do you flip? Would you flip?Wink

Replies

Enabling e-Learning (View all users posts) 09 Sep 2011 2:55pm (1139 days ago)

Found this great infographic [via the Knewton Blog] that describes what a flipped classroom might look like and how technology can support it...

The Flipped Classroom

Created by Knewton and Column Five Media

Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 02 Apr 2012 1:41pm (933 days ago)

I just stumbed across this blog post about flipping classes where the author outlines some reasons why it might not always work that well. While I may not agree with everything she raises as issues, I think she does have some interesting perspectives including not overloading students with work to do outside of class time. However, the comments underneath the blog post are very interesting and have some excellent arguments for flipping and are also well worth reading.

Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 07 Aug 2012 1:00pm (806 days ago)

A teachers, we might be thinking about lifelong learning as: 24/7, ubiquitous access to information, flipped classrooms, virtual learning spaces, alternative homework.

As parents, we might be thinking about saving enough money for our child's tertiary education.

Think again...

http://mashable.com/2012/08/06/educate-outside-classroom/

Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 22 Oct 2013 1:27pm (365 days ago)

What could a flipped classroom lesson plan for seniors look like using technologies? Try this example.

Pam Hook has come shared a blog post about, Five powerful questions students can use to extend their thinking in a SOLO framework, Not only appropriate for all ages, but I would also think these questions would make for some powerful learning - beyond the classroom.

What do you think? Do you think we could come together and co-construct a series of lessons that could be tailored and explored beyond our classroom walls?

Let's pretend...

We've got a problem:

• Everyone is obssessed with New World minis. 

Research shows how children are hugely influenced by marketing ploys. A study found that children would say that the food from a box with a cartoon character on it, tasted better than the exact same food that came in a box without a cartoon character. Taken from http://www.5aday.co.nz/5adaywebsite/cms_resources/file/Primary%20Resource%20-%20Marketing%20&%20Advertising.pdf

My son makes me go to New World and now picks out the larger version of the minis for me to buy...

Some wonderings:

• What does clever advertising/marketing look like? What makes it clever?
    • What happens when we get influenced by advertising print/TV/online?
    • What happens when young people alter their parent's buying habits?
    • How does trading work?

Let's pretend:

Our students are primary aged and have access to Internet capable devices at home

Possible Learning areas:

Social sciences: exploring how people participate in economic activities, consumption, production, and distribution of goods and services.

Health and Physical education: Healthy food groups, 5 + a day

Technology and Arts: New forms of marketing, packaging, developing ideas, creation of new products

Maths: Multiplication, money, comparison of prices between supermarkets, statistics

Key Competencies:

Critical thinking, Managing self (Ideas taken from Critical thinking about advertising claims, NZC Online, Key Competencies examples of practice)

So, are you keen? Do you want to be part of creating a collaborative series of lessons on this? Then feel free to add your ideas to this shared Google Presentation.

Let's crowd-source a homework activity we can all use.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.