Search

Mathematics learning Progressions

Started by Buffy T 20 Oct 2014 6:07pm () Replies (20)

Kia ora,

Is there any schools or educators that are using a mathematics type learning progressions?  Similar to the literacy progressions?  I am investigating student e-portfolios, goal setting, personalised learning and would like to use the literacy and if possible a mathematics type progression.

If anyone can help or has some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Buffy

Replies

• Cathiesten (View all users posts) 20 Oct 2014 6:53pm ()

I guess the standards are as close as you get to progressions.

http://www.nzmaths.co.nz/sites/default/files/images/NZC_Mathematics_Standards_for_years_1-8_poster.pdf

though Essential Resources have broken them down into a more detailed checklist in some of their books. 

That's a restart any case, and will be researching for myself too!  Or we can all get together and design our own like the clever people who did the kids speak literacy progressions. 

• Buffy T (View all users posts) 20 Oct 2014 7:04pm ()

Thanks for the poster.  I have this displayed and some feedback from some learners are that they are wordy and over whelming.  Some parents find them hard to understand.  

I like the idea of redesiging/rewriting the progressions to kids speak so the links can be explicit to classroom teaching/learning at learner level to the national standards.  Great idea !Cool  

• Oscarsranch (View all users posts) 20 Oct 2014 8:09pm ()

We have turned the learning intentions and key ideas from the Numeracy books into learning progressions  which are used for assessment and personalising learning.  Next step would be to add the other strands

• Karen Hughes (View all users posts) 20 Oct 2014 8:24pm ()

We have been using a "honeycomb" progression sheet ('bee a mathematician" or something like that) that goes from stage 1 to stage 5.  I am not sure where it came from but would love the know if there is a stage 6 and beyond.  Can anyone help?

• Hellen Healey (View all users posts) 20 Oct 2014 9:05pm ()

At Red Beach School we have developed numeracy progressions that link to the framework and therefore the curriculum and the standards.  We have covered all the number domains from stage 1-7 in both strategy and number knowledge.  Our children and teachers use them to show what the children have achieved in the past, what they are learning now and to co-construct the next learning step. They form a huge part of our student led conferences (not 3 way conferences). However, it is important that they do not become a a recipee to teach strategies in isolation.  They are best used as a tool through a problem solving approach and fit the maths involved back to the progresssion.  When the teacher sees a gap from the progressions problems can be set that would allow more efficient strategies  to be taught but but still valueing other strategies . This is a big shift for many teachers as it is a completely different appraoch. Those teachers that have been able to make the shift have noticed that children are much more motivated by practical problems that can be collaboratively solved.

We have also developed progressions for writing level 1-4 and reading from pink level to 12+age.  All align with the curiculum and standards.

• Corrina Bailey (View all users posts) 13 Mar 2015 8:24am ()

This is exactly the kind of thing we are working on at our school at the moment for reading, writing and math. I like the sound of what you have been doing with your math and would be really keen to have a look at that if that would be ok. (In fact I'd love to see what you and other schools are doing with the reading and writing progressions too, it will help us see if we are on the right track)

Could you email me through a copy? My email is corrina.bailey@whangareiprimary.school.nz Thanks so much. Corrina

• AnnaS (View all users posts) 21 Mar 2017 2:38pm ()

Helen,

This sounds amazing! We are currently trying to develop and word some of these ourselves. Are you willing/able to share what you have already developed? My email is a.harvey@smcs.school.nz if you can. It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Anna

• kiwipadi (View all users posts) 21 Oct 2014 12:23pm ()

Interesting approach Helen from Red Beach - how do you cover the strands? Have you progressions for them or link the problem solving in strand back to Number? 

• Hellen Healey (View all users posts) 24 Oct 2014 10:41am ()

We ideally try and incorporate as much strand as we can through rich number problem solving.  Measurement provides a wealth of authentic opportunities here. However we do keep a good eye on the big Maths and Stats Standards poster (11475) to keep us on track with strand.

• kiwipadi (View all users posts) 21 Mar 2017 3:20pm ()

We've done the same - developed our own progression sheets - for number/algebra, geo/measurement and stats/probability cross-referencing curriculum, standards, asTTle, NZC Maths texts (Caxton Ed) and NZ Maths etc anything we could get our hands on really!! (and asked our teachers what they used individually, and what their own kids' schools did! No shame!!) We've now put them on different sheets so that each student has a sheet with their current working level and the level above, to show them their next steps i.e. level 2 and level 3 together, level 3 and level 4 together, level 4 and level 5 together. They are a complete work in progress, but teachers and students both find them user friendly. It is a great-one-stop shop for recording goals, signing goals off as they are achieved and recording the pieces of evidence that show this achievement (e.g. 'PS 13/3' means there's a portfolio sample that was completed on that date that shows evidence of achievement of this particular progression) Good luck!

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 22 Mar 2017 3:10pm ()

Hi there

What you have done sounds amazing - a HUGE job - very comprehensive! Our school is currently on this journey too, and if you'd be willing to share even a small example of something you've created, we'd be very appreciative. We're keen to see how you've set things out and included everything, and perhaps an example of a sheet that you give to students. If you are able, I'd love you to contact me via my school email. Thanks so much.

• Gail Christie (View all users posts) 21 Mar 2017 5:37pm ()

Hi all
    We are looking at developing our Maths this year if at all possible please can you share the progressions and email me gail@stmary.school.nz.. That would be really appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Gail Christie

• kiwipadi (View all users posts) 22 Mar 2017 1:08pm ()

Also we found this document really useful for our level one and below students - we are an intermediate school http://assessment.tki.org.nz/Assessment-tools-resources/Tools-for-Learners-with-Diverse-Learning-Needs/Level-One-Curriculum-Frameworks/Numeracy-framework

There are progress indicators for 'Listening, Reading and Viewing' and 'Speaking, Writing and Presenting' and Maths here - with 'Fuel' level, 'Launch' level and then Level 1.

• AnnaS (View all users posts) 27 Mar 2017 12:25pm ()

Hi all,

Is anyone who has developed progressions for Maths willing to share? We are currently going through professional development in Maths with a problem solving focus. It's been great working strand in with numeracy. Sounds like some of you are doing the same and have developed progressions to tie in with this approach. Would love to see any that you have created. Email if you are willing to share- a.harvey@smcs.school.nz

Thank you in advance.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.