Search

Student Blogs through GAFE

• Public
Started by merryl 27 Nov 2014 5:30pm () Replies (15)

Hi all

What do you all do with student blogs when children are leaving your school. We are thinking we can ask parents to provide a google account and give them ownership?

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Merryl

Replies

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 27 Nov 2014 7:36pm ()

Hi Merryl,

Yes that is what we do.  Students have their own google account and transfer ownership or use 'google data tools'...   https://www.google.com/settings/takeout

It allows the user (student) to tag any thing they want to save i.e. blog, messages, gmail, drive, etc...  and download them in a compressed format.   like a .zip or .tgz format.    A lot easier than doing it manually.

• merryl (View all users posts) 27 Nov 2014 7:48pm ()

Thanks Hamish

Just one problem, our students are 10/11 so out of GAFE are under the age to have their own account?

Merryl 

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 27 Nov 2014 7:54pm ()

Yes the age requirement for a google account is 13 years, and 18 years for services like wallet, adsense, adwords.

As long as you have parent consent then I would say its fine.   Or if parents complete the registration on their behalf.   I mean, I bet a lot of your students have facebook accounts...  : )

• Shane (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2014 9:30am ()

What about leaving their GAFE account live for a term as they are quite likely to move on to another school and get a new GAFE a/c there. That'll let them transfer the ownership to their new school.

• Heather Harper (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2014 11:38am ()

We are going through a similar process for the first time. We have suggested to our year 8's to use Google Takeout to transfer anything from their school drive / blogger... to another google account. A lot of our students have other google accounts and these have been set up with parents permission.

We have really tried to encourage our students that the school gmail account... is their "professional account" used for school purposes, not to set up facebook/  accounts... This has helped with the differentiation between school and personal. We have given them plenty of notice that this is happening, and have passed on the responsibility to them.

All year 8 accounts will be suspended at end of year. We are currently trying to work out what to do with our Year 7 accounts as we want them suspended over the holiday period, but reopened after the break for 2015 without losing any data, blogs... We have come up with changing their password as that can be done in bulk rather than individually. If we suspended them apparently Google might delete them forever after 30 days.

I would be interested to know what other Intermediates do.

• Mark Edwards (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2014 11:53am ()

Heather,

Google doesn't delete accounts that have been suspended by the GAFE administrators it's only if individuals accounts get suspended because of abusive activity.

I suggest getting the leavers to use takeout then suspend their accounts for a period of time, that way they manage their own data and destination and if need be they can come back to you to unsuspend the account just in case they lose their data.

Mark

• Heather Harper (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2014 12:04pm ()

Thanks Mark

I had just got that info from my technician. Anyway we are going to suspend them and have them available for a certain length of time afterwards.

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2014 12:07pm ()

Just curious, why are student accounts being suspended over term breaks and holidays?

• Mark Edwards (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2014 12:13pm ()

Yes I was going to ask the same question

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2014 2:00pm ()

Tell me if I'm wrong (actually, I hope I am!), but I was under the impression that students are unable to use Google Takeout to transfer their files etc to a Gmail account external to the school's GAFE account?

Carol

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2014 2:08pm ()

Hi Carol,

We have used the tool for a while now.  No problems.  

It doesn't transfer files, it compresses them in a zip file, which can be downloaded and then be uploaded back into a google account.  The domain name doesn't matter. 

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2014 2:15pm ()

Aha - that's good to have confirmed. What about Gmails, Youtube videos and other components of a student's GAFE account? And how might this work with shared files? Does the Takeout process leave files within the student's current account, and make copies of all? Then the same files within the account will be archived for a period of time by the school?

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2014 2:23pm ()

It creates a .zip file (size dependent on content)

It looks like youtube videos are downloaded in their original upload format.  So yes you get to keep a selection, or all of your videos as well. Here is an example of a download....

Screen Shot 2014-11-28 at 2.22.10 pm.png  

The student didn't have any youtube videos, so doesn't have them included in this download. 

• Heather Harper (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2014 12:58pm ()

We are suspending the accounts over the long holiday break only, they have not been suspended through term breaks and because next year we have some major classroom changes it was decided that it would be good to do this. We are just trying this out and will reflect on it next year.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.