Search

Use of digital technology in culturally responsive practice

• Public
Started by RosL 25 Mar 2015 11:26am () Replies (9)

I am trying to unpack this phrase from the ELPF in the context of our large secondary school, for my better understanding.  

"In our school digital technologies are embedded in learning and reflect culturally responsive practice."

Can anyone help - some real life examples of this being done well at the engaging or empowering phase would be helpful.  

Thanks
Ros Lee

Otumoetai College

Replies

• Kathe Tawhiwhirangi (View all users posts) 25 Mar 2015 1:39pm ()

Kia ora Ros

In my mind, this one statement is made up of 3 parts...

• digital technologies - what do your staff consider 'digital technologies'?
    • embedded in learning - what does this look like at your school?
    • culturally responsive practice - is there shared and common understandings as to what this means at your school?

These statements in the eLPF do encourage us to discuss further in our schools what these mean, and look like for us, before we decide at what stage we are at. Currently this aspect is one that we're being inundated with for requests for support. I do not believe that there is one hard and fast answer here - hence my adding to your questions :-) Many schools are realising that culturally responsive practice is an area of need so there is still lots of learning to be had. Documentation  that you may find useful are the MOE's - Tataiako Competencies & Ka Hikitia - to name a couple.

Some considerations may be....

• when we have manuhiri visiting, is it OK to be on our devices?
    • how do we like being treated and are we treating others as well, both offline and online?
    • when someone asks for assistance, is it OK to ignore them?
    • when we're capturing footage (audio, images) have we asked permission to do so?
    • are we assuming that everyone works in the same way?
    • are we honouring all learning styles?

OK, now I'm starting to babble so I will stop.

Feel free to make contact if you'd like to discuss this further. I can think of a couple of schools that it may be useful for you to contact?

Ngā mihi

• Manu Faaea-Semeatu (View all users posts) 25 Mar 2015 1:53pm ()

Malo Ros,

For a Pasifika focus - check out the following:

There are some lovely videos in the Media Gallery on TKI Pasifika

There are also some lovely examples on the Pasifika section on CORE EdTalks 

They can also check out the Pasifika Pedagogy on my blog for some examples :-)
  • Karen (View all users posts) 25 Mar 2015 2:32pm ()

Hi Ros,

We were having this exact same discussion yesterday at our school so it is great to hear that other schools are too.

Thank you Kathe for breaking this down a bit further and Manu for the resources you have shared. I am going to share your blog with our staff so that they can follow along.

Karen

• Janelle Riki (View all users posts) 25 Mar 2015 2:36pm ()

Kia ora Ros,

Thanks for a great post and a chance to discuss this further.  I agree with my colleagues and their suggesstions and would also pose the following questions for further discussion amongst your staff.

• how are our priority learners using the technology in our school?
    • are our Māori and Pasifika learners able to source information and use technology to empower them culturally?
    • Do our students whānau have an understanding of digital citizenship and how they can be supporting this at home?
    • can out whānau access school technology to connect with their child's learning (should there be no access at home)?
    • do our students have the ability to use technology at school in ways that grow their understanding and knowledge of their own culture and that of others?
    • are our teachers offering students choices about what they learn and how they learn?

There are many more I could pose but in short I think the question is asking two things, how responsive is our practice to the 'whole' child (in relation to academically, socially, emotionally and culturally) AND are we using technology to support our responsive practices.

Hope this helps.  Ngā mihi

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 25 Mar 2015 10:25pm ()

"In our school digital technologies are embedded in learning and reflect culturally responsive practice."

Here is a real life example from my class 

http://moturoa.blogspot.co.nz/2009/10/learning-our-mihi.html

It is a from a few years ago but hopefully shows how digital technologies- in this case Skype- supports learning in a culturally responsive way- akonga- teina/tuakana- learning our mihi.

The video shows my year four learners and is a class made video so production values are amateur but hopefully you will get the idea.

• Tony Cairns (View all users posts) 25 Mar 2015 10:37pm ()

These are awesome Allanah I love your blogs and amazing use of technology in classes - you are an inspiration

Heres some of mine but the videos are pretty raw - we have editing workshops planned for passion prject fortnights at end of terms  - tony

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WhhVzuZsZh97q7J0HuVSkm2Xrh-jkdZckK-DkepyBVU/edit?usp=sharing

ps we video and still image with 4 cameras in most junior classes up to year 11 but only rarely record senior classes as they are more static - i usually video debates, discussions, trips, experiments, events, investigations dramas, outreach, live links, visits, physics tournaments, fieldtrips and ethics workshops.  I am also doing slo mo, fast frame and greenscreen workshops and recording video flythroughs f artificial augmented and virtual worlds and games

cheers tony

Tony Cairns - tony.cairns@paradise.net.nz - www.nzgdb.co.nz
    42 Fortunatus Street, Vogeltown, Wellington, 6021 NEW ZEALAND
    Science Teacher at Wellington High School tony.cairns@whs.school.nz
    Home phone (644) 934 8669 Work (644) 385 8911 Mobile 022 653 4021

• Tony Cairns (View all users posts) 25 Mar 2015 11:16pm ()

culturally responsive to me means asking what people want and respecting their wishes

we have no imaging or videos on marae unless cleared first and always clear speakers

requests first for wishes. We often have kids in coloured hats, leis and decorated lab coats designated as recorders so people can say no i dont want to be imaged or simply hold up a hand to stop imaging

to address the questions above

• how are our priority learners using the technology in our school?
    1. advance access to all technologies with a pool of chromebooks free per year for them if they need it - also free software vis MS apple and govt deals also creative commons imaging, software and videos
    2. High needs students can access their prefered media and software to do all lessons and recording from this (gaming) background
    3. All Students get access to all school equipment all the time - equipment is bookable by teachers
    4. Special requirements, access, visibility, mobility are accessed through SMT and Special learning centres as well as ORRS and Base 1 and MOE funding 

• are our Māori and Pasifika learners able to source information and use technology to empower them culturally?
    1. increasingly here are my suggestions for this years work for me which may shine some light on it, we are tracking Maori and pasifika and special needs and ESOl and FFP students on all assessments in all topics, subjects and levels and using the data to better assist them as much as possible

1. Presentations for LoopEd, uLearn, CoreEd etc.Presentation 1 Hekenga a digital journey home for the LoopEd Conference is the result of my short listed but ultimately unsuccessful  bid for the  Core Education Scholarship is to create a digital online app that links Maori ako to their marae, whanau and whakapapa - an app that helps them discover their taonga, tikanga and turangawaewae, an app that sets them on a heke, hekenga, hikoi of hope.

1. Presentation 2 a User’s Guide to PD4Ed participant observation and focus group study of the availability, quality and utility of the Professional Development opportunities: Education Conferences, Workshops, Seminars and Online, digital courses on offer from 2013 – 2015. The outcome of my research will be a peer reviewed research paper, personal presentation at WellyEd, loopEd, uLearn and WHS and a hands on user guide to choosing the most effective, reliable and valid PD for  an individual, faculty, school, regional cluster and Aotearoa New Zealand.

1. Presentation 3 is Digital Resources for 2015 to develop and upload all digital resources used by teachers in Aotearoa New Zealand into ‘Buckets’ on The Pond, Playlists in Youtube, Google+ photos albums, Board Pins on Pinterest and maybe Moodle.
    2. Presentation 4 is to work with NZCER on the evaluation, assessment and worth of digital games as firstly a supplement then a replacement for traditional teaching i.e.: one to many, fixed assessment times and dates, Content heavy, skill light, boring, analogue, synchronous lectures, seminars and workshops.

1. Presentation 5 How we learn and Why I Teach - I teach Science and Technology at our local High School in wellington, but I am primary trained and have taught from preschool to tertiary so that has changed the way I view teaching and students. In this short talk i hope to question the nature and future of teaching and replace it with some ideas I picked up when running playcentre and playschool about the importance of discovery, experience and fun in learning. I believe having fun, taking risks and experimenting with a wide range of materials, situations and experiences is a good way to learn - for all people and all ages.  This seminar will be fast paced, action packed provocative and slightly mad - a lot like me and the classes i teach and learn in. I look forward to discussing these ideas with you further in this session.  I am a mad, crazy science teacher and i am passionate about science, technology and learning. I think teaching science is all about passion, power and people - making connections, lighting the fires and blowing up our prejudices, preconceptions and predictions. Whatever you learn, whatever you teach at least it won’t be boring.

Heres some other ideas on it

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19W9m-urZ5auDwJhLxyWghM2s79GMRVvwFmH9MlEjXN8/edit

• Do our students whānau have an understanding of digital citizenship and how they can be supporting this at home?
    1. I think we surveyed this a few years ago and most seem to agree on the areas issues and concerns  we need to redo this IMHO
    2. I think we need to know more on concepts of citizen, states, nations and the treaty obligations, responsibilities and opportunities for all
    3. The at home bit assumes access to machines technology and know how - we have requests and accede to preschool after school and lunchtime student access to labs, com albs and libraries ITC and with teacher supervision and oversite
    4. we have awhina clubs and kapa haka and pasifika groups and events and representation and hui
    5. We have wirless fast speed unlimited fats upload and download and 24/7 access to resources and materials and feedback online for students and whanau
    6. most parents are using parent portal and online feedback communication and survey responses.

i think we need to do more here to see what parents think re ITC,technology and the parent, child, teen borders and boundaries 

• can out whānau access school technology to connect with their child's learning (should there be no access at home)?

we use hard copy reports and newsletter whenever we know there is an unmet need and ask parents and students to keep us up to date in this regard

• do our students have the ability to use technology at school in ways that grow their understanding and knowledge of their own culture and that of others?

yes, waka navigation, maori iwi genetics, ancestry, whakapapa, tikanga, kapa haka, plays in by and for maori, speech competitions, exams and assessments in maori on request, powhiri, poroporoaki, tangi and treading orr waking the land and space, treaties in and for and created in classrooms see also url below

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19W9m-urZ5auDwJhLxyWghM2s79GMRVvwFmH9MlEjXN8/edit

• are our teachers offering students choices about what they learn and how they learn?
    1. yes we are co constructing topics, passion projects, year long learning goals and long term career and professional goals with parents, caregivers, whanau and students

There are many more I could pose but in short I think the question is asking two things, how responsive is our practice to the 'whole' child (in relation to academically, socially, emotionally and culturally)

ok ish but we could do better - lots better

AND are we using technology to support our responsive practices.

yes

cheers in haste need dinner now

tony

Tony Cairns - tony.cairns@paradise.net.nz - www.nzgdb.co.nz
    42 Fortunatus Street, Vogeltown, Wellington, 6021 NEW ZEALAND
    Science Teacher at Wellington High School tony.cairns@whs.school.nz
    Home phone (644) 934 8669 Work (644) 385 8911 Mobile 022 653 4021

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 26 Mar 2015 10:38am ()

Oh my goodness, great ideas and digital examples, so generous, lots to look through and think about, thanks everyone. smiley Ros you came to the right place!

I see Manu has posted a reply here and she also started a thread on, Indigenous cultures and e-Learning where she asked, “How can blended e-Learning be a way or an approach to assist Māori and Pasifika learners in navigating their way to success?” You might be interested in the responses, including other VLN threads that can support your initial request as well as a shared Google Doc that tries to align aspects from the LeadershipTeaching and Beyond the Classroom dimensions of the eLPF with a cultural responsive lens.

Kathe has also posted some ideas here and has helped to create a MASAM (Māori Achieving success as Māori) framework that incorporates digital technologies. You can find out more in this webinar recording:

Māori achieving success as Māori with an e-learning lens, 12th Nov 2014. In this webinar, Kathe TawhiwhirangiTrevor Bond and Yvonne Nikora shared ways schools are proactively addressing, Māori achieving success as Māori using the e-Learning Planning Framework and the (MASAM) Framework as tools for self review. We did this using the Media gallery videos from Enabling e-Learning (Beyond the Classroom section).

You might also be interested in Enabling e-Learning’s page on Teaching and learning with Māori tradition and modern technology in Beyond the classroom which has some wonderful videos and supplementary resources to think about.

These ideas and resources will take a while to get through, but we've love for you to 'get back to us' and tell us how you got on smiley.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.