Search

Will MinecraftEDU work on the lowest spec MacBook Air?

• Public
Started by Carol Kendall 23 Apr 2015 7:18pm () Replies (4)

Our older Macbooks are coming to the end of their lease, and we don't want to purchase them. The cheapest option (in terms of Apple) to lease in future is 11" Macbook Airs with 128GB Flash storage. I have licences for 14 copies of MinecraftEDU, and I need them to run on whatever we get next. It needs to be Apple-based for the other things we do with our computers. SO, does anyone know if we will be happy with running MinecraftEDU clients on these Macbook Airs if we go that direction?

I've attached a screenshot of the specs in our Apple New Zealand store.

The other devices we have are Chromebooks.... and iPads....

Keen for your experience on this please.

Carol

Replies

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 23 Apr 2015 7:56pm ()

Hi Carol,

Minecraft currently only runs on Mac and PC. (Other than the tablet version [Minecraft PE] ,pocket edition) so won't work on chromebooks.  The Mac air will run Minecraft in its native resolution very well. (70+FPS).  If you plug in an external monitor it will run 'fine' (40-50fps) @1080p resolution.

The Mac airs, and a lot of Mac pros have the 'Intel HD' GFX chipset, which is an integrated graphics solution. It saves power and reduces heat inside the laptop, but isn't a high end gaming gfx card to say the least.

For what you want, the Mac airs will do the job nicely. Just be aware that with only 128gb of space, you'll find it difficult to do a lot of video editing on them. You'll find they will slow down quickly, and run out of space to finish the editing.  (You could make 1-2 movies at a time as long as you delete all footage before commencing another video editing job)

Hope that helps ☺

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 23 Apr 2015 9:58pm ()

That IS really helpful, thank you Hamish!

Hmm, just thought - we'd be able to plug in a regular USB mouse no problem? Or is it going to have some new USB standard that won't work with older mice....?

Carol

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 23 Apr 2015 10:12pm ()

The new MacBook has the USB type'C'. and I'm sure that others like the Mac air and MacBook pro will follow suit. They run @ 10 Gbps (gigabits per second) umm, very fast! ☺

Apple are bringing out a multi plug so you can connect 4 peripherals up to it (mice, keyboard, external storage, monitors) although wireless screencasting is becoming the standard so screen cables are less important

But... we won't see this type'C' being the norm for Apple until 2016 (even 2017) for New Zealand.

So buying the new Mac airs this year and next, you'll still have the combination of power, USB x2, 3.5mm audio Jack, Tec..  Bearing in mind that Apple new releases don't hit New Zealand until 6 months after US stores, and TELA don't lease them on to teachers for another 3-6 months.  Such a con! When we get a new TELA Mac laptop it's already 12 month old technology.  Sorry, had a little rant there!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.