Search

Literacy Learning Progressions Reading and Writing Matrix

Started by Tash Jacobs 22 Mar 2016 11:31am () Replies (5)

LLP Writing Year 4-8 LLP Writing Year 2-6 LLP writing 1-3 LLP Reading Year 4-8 LLP Reading 2-6 LLP reading 1-3

A colleague and I have spent many hours reformatting the LLP document into a user friendly matrix to be used for tracking and monitoring.  The language is identical to the LLP.

We felt that this may be a useful tool for many schools.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you wish to discuss in more detail how schools are using these tools.

tashjaco@waikato.ac.nz

gemmg@waikato.ac.nz

We would also like to hear your feedback on how you see using these tools in the discussion online. 

Replies

• Melanie Tatham (View all users posts) 07 Apr 2016 10:30pm ()

These are great, thank you. I have just discovered them so will update how I use them. In saying that I am interested to hear how others have used them.

• Trish (View all users posts) 08 Apr 2016 7:19am ()

I would be keen to read how others have used these also. Found these sheets much easier to read than the progression book.

• Urmi (View all users posts) 08 Apr 2016 7:15pm ()

Thank you, what an amazing amount of work! I appreciate your generosity in sharing these.

• Tash Jacobs (View all users posts) 14 Apr 2016 1:26pm ()

You are all more than welcome!!  We have many schools using the various matrix around Hawkes Bay.  Initially we are using them to highlight everything a student CAN do in their writing or reading.  As we are highlighting we are taking care to always look across the threads of learning to see just how far a student CAN go.  This stops boxing students in to one vertical level.  Initially we have been using these docs with our target students.

After establishing what the students CAN do we look at where they need to be to meet the standard and begin making plans about how to accelerate their learning in specific areas with intensive explicit teaching over a short 2-3 week period.  For example a year 6 student may be operating at the year 4 standard for language features (among other things).  We look specifically at the language difference, and therefore teaching required, to move them from year 4 to 6 and plan explicit group teaching to move them quickly - ie accelerate their learning.  

• using written language features (such as similes and onomatopoeia) and visual language features (such as illustrations and diagrams) to support meaning;

• using written language features (such as emotive vocabulary) and visual language features (such as headings, charts, or maps) to extend or clarify meaning and to engage their audience;

So the key difference in language is to extend or clarify meaning and engage an audience.  A plan is then made around around how to make this shift quickly and explicitly.

This is all wrapped around ongoing robust professional conversations and careful tracking and monitoring of the students.  This process also sits alongside the students being able to self regulate their learning.

I will take a few pics and upload them for you to look at soon.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.