Search

Key ideas filtering through on Stuff

Started by Tessa Gray 23 Mar 2016 9:04am () Replies (2)

Interesting to see articles like this filtering through to our parent community via Stuff.co.nz (22/3/2016). 

Schools need to think like tech companies gives a short profile on the importance of teaching for the future. Key ideas like...

...maybe schools shouldn't teach obscure topics like the life cycle of a butterfly (they can Google that information), but rather providing kids will the skills to survive and thrive in a technology-focused world.

​This is not about teaching them how to use a smartphone, it's about teaching them to solve a problem by coding a program. It's about developing a way of thinking, and making tech as important as maths or reading. 

How else can we let our parents/whānau know about important paradigm shifts and drivers in education?

Replies

• Nathaniel Louwrens (View all users posts) 31 Mar 2016 12:21pm ()

Thanks for sharing this, Tessa. 

Your question is an important one I think.

While reading articles in the media about education, I inevitably end up down in the comments section and find myself thinking that those who are outside of the education system don't understand how it. There are often comments comparing "then" and "now" and I believe it's important to continue to educate the wider community around what goes on in school (and the education system) now and why. Eg. an understanding of how the NZ Curriculum works and why it has been put together in this way.

We know that we need to communicate in many ways to reach as far and wide as we can. I wonder what are some of the important big messages we need to get across?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Beyond the Classroom

Beyond the Classroom

Beyond the classroom - Connecting school to the wider community with and about technologies.