Search

Innovation in Curriculum: Developing Financial Capabilities in Students and Staff

Started by Jill MacDonald 30 Mar 2016 7:48pm () Replies (7)

Hi! My name is Jill MacDonald and for the past 30 months, I have been part of a team who has been deconstructing the NZC to find concepts that link multiple learning areas.  It has not always been an easy road but I can say it has been a rewarding road.  For the past 18 months, Di Cavallo and I have been a part of the first SORTED cluster group (Upper Harbour) looking at how to build financial capability in our school. We saw an opportunity to bring NZC Financial Progressions into our curriculum and not just in Social Sciences or Maths but building connections across multiple learning areas and on the way growing staff and community awareness. 

We have started road mapping where financial progressions can be hit in learning areas in day to day/module/unit teaching without the added stress of teachers being asked to do another "requirement" on top of their already busy schedule.  Making it visible to where they are already hitting those FC themes and skills. We have also started developing our HPSS Financial Capability Curriculum Framework which links to our school 8 Big Concepts in our Foundation Year Curriculum Framework.  Learners completing MUST DOs (in Hubs aka form classes), COULD DOs (Big Projects and/or Floortime) and MIGHT DOs (Module teaching). 

The evidence that I can speak to:

• communication/open dialogue that learners are having with one another
  • high interest in participating in workshops and financial events from learners and staff
  • interest from current students to continue with my  FITLIT module ( foundation maths class being taught in a financial context). 

I'm happy to post more  and/or provide resources if this post sparks any interest.

Replies

• Lawrence Naicker (View all users posts) 30 Mar 2016 9:50pm ()

Hi Jill

It seems like you are working on something really exciting. You have made significant progress towards integrating learning across multiple curriculum areas. What year levels are we talking about? I have been looking at a similar concept at my school in the senior secondary phase  and have called it building "synergy" in the curriculum. However, we are only at the initial stages of our inquiry. Would definitely like to hear more from you.

• Graham Young (View all users posts) 31 Mar 2016 9:10am ()

It does fit neatly with your leadership inquiry Lawrence.... So Jill are you writing cross curricular learning tasks... is this at the senior secondary level?

• Jill MacDonald (View all users posts) 31 Mar 2016 10:14am ()

We are currently in particular learning area partnerships writing cross curricular learning tasks.  We have been doing that in our Foundation Year Programme for 2 years now.  The Financial Capability Progressions is the next step for a small team at my school - integrating into established teaching practice. 

• Jill MacDonald (View all users posts) 31 Mar 2016 10:11am ()

Hi Lawrence,

Yes, our school has integrating learning across both Year 9/10 modules/classes and this year with Year 11. The team that I am involved with at HPSS has mapped out learning  within the NZC through the  learning areas to fit underneath Big Concepts in the foundation years over two years.  

We have curriculum development documents, processes and strategies that we are willing to share.  I guess the question would be if what we have is what you are looking to develop yourself for your inquiry?

• Mohammedazim (View all users posts) 31 Mar 2016 11:05am ()

Hi Gill

I am also in the initial stages of the inquiry that Lawrence is at. Di came to our school last year and talked about the 21st century pedagogies that HPSS has embraced. I would be very keen to the curriculum development documents, processes and strategies that you would be willing to share.

Thanks.

• Gaylyn Lockington (View all users posts) 31 Mar 2016 12:18pm ()

Kia orana from the Cook Islands.

Currently in our school Financial concepts are only taught at Year 10 therefore i find your posts very interesting and wonder if i can have a look at a unit that you have created?

We are introducing a Thematic Teaching approach at our Year 7&8 levels with the hope of progressing to Year 9 & 10 as well in the near future and I would very much appreciate your assistance.

Meitaki atupaka (thank you very much)

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.