Search

TV's vs. Data Projectors in Classrooms

Started by CSheffield 15 Jun 2016 12:12pm () Replies (13)

Hi all,

We have data projectors in all of our classrooms, and some of them are beginning to get to the age where it's necessary to replace them. 

We've been advised that the new thing to do is to put flat screen TV's into classrooms instead of new data projectors. 

Has anyone done this? If so, what size TV's, how has it worked, is it easier/better than using data projectors? 

Personally, I love having a data projector in my classroom and find it quite easy to use, but having never tried using a TV in the classroom, I don't know what that's like. Would love some advice and info from people who have tried both, or even just had a TV. 

Thanks,

Catherine

Replies

• Geoff Siave (View all users posts) 15 Jun 2016 12:23pm ()

With TVs you could use the HDMI cords or the other whatever-you-call-them cords to get your laptop image on screen.  Better still is to use chromecast or an equivalent facility to allow wireless laptop to tv duplication.  

Chromecast device look like a usb with a power cord.  It plugs into the tv and into a power point.  You download the app to your device and you're off - wireless device to TV screen mirroring.

Of course, when you're shared into documents by the children, that allows you to use children's work for examples (etc.) more readily. 

• CSheffield (View all users posts) 15 Jun 2016 12:30pm ()

Yeah, we use the HDMI cords and adaptors with the data projectors, and are able to share children's work etc on the screen. 

We have also considered either Apple TV's or Chromecasts... but don't know much about them!

• Barbara Reid (View all users posts) 15 Jun 2016 12:45pm ()

You might like to look at this from the Connected learning Advisory. You can contact them for impartial advice. https://connectedlearning.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204922559-Deciding-Whether-to-Choose-a-TV-or-a-Projector-for-a-Classroom

• Nathaniel Louwrens (View all users posts) 16 Jun 2016 7:30am ()

Thanks Barbara for sharing the CLA guide - Deciding whether to choose a TV or a Projector for a classroom.

Catherine, if you would still like support or advice around this, please get in touch with the Connected Learning Advisory. The CLA is a free service to schools providing unbiased advice and support for schools in integrating digital technologies with learning.

www.connectedlearning.org.nz

• Roger Keedle (View all users posts) 15 Jun 2016 4:37pm ()

I have just got rid of my old data projector and bought a 60" TV instead. I connect to it with a chromebit or an HDMI cable. The chromebit needs a keyboard and mouse so I also bought a wireless keyboard and mouse pad combined so it can be used from anywhere in the room.

• Lynne Crowe (View all users posts) 15 Jun 2016 5:10pm ()

I still have my data projector but hardly used. I now have a 55" and 42" TV and use chromecasts - one for each. What I like about the TVs is the clarity of text etc compared to data projector. I have also got rid of my big whiteboard!!

I am interested in the chromebit and would be interested if anyone can offer information re a comparison to chromecast as I have never heard of them. 

• Roger Keedle (View all users posts) 15 Jun 2016 6:09pm ()

A chromebit is like a Chromebook laptop in that it only accesses the Internet through a google account. It doesn't have programs on the machine except google chrome browser. It is a little bit bigger than a USB memory stick, plugs into the HDMI port on the TV and has a power cord to a main plug socket. It doesn't come with a keyboard or mouse. It only has one USB port but you can connect a USB hub to add more than one device and then you can connect a mouse and keyboard, even better if it is a wireless one, because you can roam with it. It connects to wifi easily but can't join a domain so connecting network drives isn't possible.

We have had a few issues with connecting to the network printer but it will Google cloud print but is fiddle to set up!

I have found it very responsive. When we watch video we play from YouTube or from my Google Drive. They cost about $250 and you can get a wireless keyboard and mouse for $60-80.

It is not as flexible or powerful as a full laptop connected through an HDMI cable.

I hope this helps.

• CSheffield (View all users posts) 16 Jun 2016 8:03am ()

Wow, thanks for all of this fantastic information! I'll have to have a proper read through later today. 

If anyone else has any other info they think is important for us to know when making decisions like this, please keep sharing!

-C

• Warren Grieve (View all users posts) 16 Jun 2016 9:56am ()

We are replacing projectors with LED. Cheaper over time, better contrast and clarity of screen. Smaller image than what a projector can do but positives outweigh this anyway.

We looked at the reality of how interactive whiteboards were being used and said for the price of one IWB we could put in an LED (60+ is good), a smaller portable LED, 3-4 iPads and an AppleTV. All this helps get away from the idea of the 'guru' up front. Boys in our 1:1 programme are able to easily diplay work, learning and share.

• Tom Neumann (View all users posts) 16 Jun 2016 10:10am ()

I have been using the arrangements as per photo one and photo two for many years. The monitors are connected by HDMI cables to a matrix switch , (which allows me to turn them on and off independently of my own monitor) and then my docking station. Initial outlay is approximately $2000.00 but there are no bulbs to replace or projectors that become obsolete. Students like the experience which is much more intimate than a data projector. Students can see even if they are in the back of the class and anything I can play on my own machine becomes available to the students if I chose to show it. Monitors have sound built in, but I run an independent sound system connected to my docking station.

• Geoff Siave (View all users posts) 16 Jun 2016 11:32am ()

Chrome cast stick $70-80.  Worth getting to use at home to get used to it.  Great for Netflix!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.