Search

Curriculum for the future

If a traditional model of curriculum design looks like this...

...is it still appropriate in a fast-paced, increasingly technological world, where we can’t predict what our students will need to know? In the short video on the left, Mark Treadwell talks about how we’re moving away from a historical body of knowledge that we used to teach them to suddenly teaching them to be able to learn. He also says, this is the most exciting time in education, but asks, how do we prepare our students to be life-long learners? In the short video on the right, Mark Osborne talks about a Post-industrial model of education – Education 3.0 that prepares our students for a rapidly changing world.

So what does this mean in terms of a traditional curriculum and more importantly, a curriculum for the future

Come join us this Wednesday, 7th September 3.45pm as we LIVE role play using the Curriculum for the Future resources with Rachel Bolstad. 

These resources are intended to open up thinking and conversation around some of the deeper ideas that dwell beneath the surface of our everyday thinking about curriculum, learning, and teaching. 

As you work through the Curriculum for the Future resources (teachers, leaders, students, BOT, parents) you'll see that thinking about a curriculum for the future is virtually impossible without thinking about the curriculum - and school - as we already know it. This helps us to open up many important questions about schooling, teaching, and curriculum that we don't always have time or space think about in our day-to-day lives. Where you take those conversations next is up to you! http://www.nzcer.org.nz/research/curriculum-future

Are you game?

Also see:

Part 2: Personalising learning : Shallow and deep expressions of practice | An Enabling e-Learning event

Replies

• Rachel Peak (View all users posts) 08 Sep 2016 12:38pm ()

CCF is a fantastic game that I have tried twice now since the NAPP April Hui. where Rachel Bostad showed us how it worked. I have briefly watched the webinar too. Firstly I facilitated the workshop /roleplay and game with my English students from AUT as a way of getting them to work collaboratively with a focus on oral language and drama.  We had great fun unpacking the ideas and they took it away to consider as a useful strategy to use on their practicums.  I did have an ulterior motive too, as I wanted to see how it worked and get some feedback, so that when I played it with a group of 20 teachers in my school, I would have had a run through.  It worked really well and engaged the group of teachers for the almost 2 hours in our cross-curricular PLGs.  A great way to stimulate discussion, differing viewpoints, it is interactive and a bit different.  It certainly provoked thought around how we design curriculum.  Thanks!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.