Search

Feasible to introduce SCRATCH in 1 hour?

• Public
Started by Rebecca Cox 20 Sep 2016 12:22pm () Replies (2)

Kia ora all, I'm going to be facilitating a workshop around STEM/STEAM with a group of teachers, and am wondering how feasible it might be to spend some of the time trying out Scratch coding. 

We'll have other things to look at, so could only spend up to an hour. I'm wondering if that is long enough to give people a meaningful experience with Scratch, and also looking for ideas on what might be good to do. (Am assuming that the majority of the group won't have used Scratch prior).

Interested in your thoughts, thanks :-)

Replies

• Linda (View all users posts) 20 Sep 2016 2:37pm ()

My initial thought is that covering Scratch in only an hour is ambitious - particularly if participants have not had any coding experience.  An introduction may be a showing them what scratch is capable of producing.  It is possible to get an idea of what Scratch is all about but an hour is not enough time if you want people to have a go at creating using Scratch.  I suggest you don't get users to log in and make an account as this will take longer.  Just get them tinkering with scratch and even copying code and manipulating some variables.  Good luck

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.