Search

Getting ready for Digital Technologies Curiculum

Hi all... first members... holidays are reflective times I find. I started this resource (also posted in the resources section of this group) as a way to get my head around the strands in the curriculum. Currently right now my plan next year, as more information on content of strands comes out, is to continue on integrating eLearning/Digital Technologies within our curriculum integrated topics. We will also look for more ways to spread a sandpit play with the areas of the Digital Technologies curriculum we are not as strong in at our school. What do you think?

Replies

• Gretchen Cocks (View all users posts) 07 Jan 2017 10:26am ()

Hi there Katrina,

I have no idea about what the digital technologies curriculum will require us to teach next year, however I am doing my own research around computer science, computational thinking and coding. Currently I am doing the Mindlab and have just been doing some research about implementing coding to support authentic learning across the curriculum in a New Zealand context where there is very little research literature. My reason for this is the digital technologies curriculum beginning in 2018. Our school currently has a coding club but I want to expose all of my learners to coding in a Year 5 and 6 classroom. Because some of these concepts are largely western/European ideologies, I also want to see how I can bring a cultural perspective as I teach in a very multi cultural school.  I think what you are doing is a great idea and there are going to be teachers who find this difficult. 

Has anyone currently been running coding with their students (not just via a coding club) in class? How is this going? I intend to do this collaboratively and hopefully will have 1:2 device ratio.

• Katrina Curtis (View all users posts) 25 Apr 2017 12:02pm ()

Gretchen how did your Mindlab research go? I am currently thinking of doing my literature review into a similar area, possibly looking at various coding programmes and there effectiveness in years 1- 3. Have you completed your research in this field or are you currently exploring?

Cheers Katrina

• Ginette Van Praag (View all users posts) 26 Apr 2017 7:16am ()

Hi Katrina

You might find the following useful as a starting point:

1. The work of Seymour Papert, he invented Logo programming language
    2. The work of Caitlin Duncan, University of Canterbury. She has been doing research study for past 3 years on CS in Primary Schools with Tim Bell and the Department of Fun Stuff. This work is largely responsible for the adoption of the new curriculum in 2018. They have been running teacher pld workshops.  Have a look here for more info: http://cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/cs4ps/
    3. Code Club Aotearoa

My advice would be to look at your teaching in this space as action research also. The more NZ teachers can contribute to the pedagogy, the better in my opinion ☺

Nga mihi

Ginette 

• Gretchen Cocks (View all users posts) 26 Apr 2017 12:20pm ()

Hi Katrina

I found the literature review really hard but interesting in that I read literature I would otherwise have not had to!  I haven't done a lot of research in the field apart from reading a lot of literature about this at the Mindlab and through my review. I'm past Term 1 now and want to implement it with all of the learners in my class. Am finding it difficult in that although we have BYOD, there are all kinds of devices. I am particularly interested into how it fits in culturally and how you can gain a multi cultural perspective with this particular field. There is very little research that has been conducted around this with any kind of indigenous learner. A lot of these philosophies are western/European ideologies which I mentioned above. There has been some research around coding at a primary level, although not as much as you'd think although a point that resonated wth me was the importance of exposing ALL learners to these coding and computer science before high school otherwise there tends not to be an interest in it. This is particularly true of girls. 

• Warren Grieve (View all users posts) 08 Jan 2017 6:35am ()

I am about to start coding across the school Gretchen as part of our Digital Technologies curriculum and very open to exchange of ideas here. I am intending to work collaboratively through our eLearning team in the school and my ICT Crew (Tech Ninjas) and a range of tekkie breckies. Interested in anything you are trialling or good ideas, especially in the area of maker spaces and coding.

• Gretchen Cocks (View all users posts) 10 Jan 2017 12:43pm ()

Awesome, I am very interested in exchanging ideas also. In fact, I see you are at Medbury, meaning I am just around the corner from you. Does each student have a 1:1 device or are you running it collaboratively? Are you using Scratch? Do you have BYOD at your school and a range of devices? We have bought BYOD. One of my concerns is the limited number of computers as opposed to other devices. What are your thoughts?

• Warren Grieve (View all users posts) 23 Jan 2017 1:44pm ()

We have Scratch. Year 5 and above have a laptop and we have pods of iPads for Year 1-4. Most of the time with borrowing from pods we can give the junior kids all an iPad just depends on what the classroom teacher is doing. We use ScratchJnr with iPads. 

• Ngaire Shepherd-Wills (View all users posts) 18 Jan 2017 5:07pm ()

Hi Warren,

Thanks so much for sharing this resource. Great to be thinking NOW about what this new curriculum will involve and to explore the strands within it. Exciting times!

Ngaire

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 02 Feb 2017 3:49pm ()

This is a great resource Warren, thank you for starting this and sharing it with us all. Did you want people to dive into the Google slides and add/share some more thinking/resources/lessons/ideas of their own too?

• Warren Grieve (View all users posts) 02 Feb 2017 10:21pm ()

Yes dive on in and add... just request edit rights. More the merrier. I am exploring the Aussie and English curriculums in this area and it will be interesting to see where the NZ one works out. Evolving.

• Gretchen Cocks (View all users posts) 06 Feb 2017 3:06pm ()

Thanks loads Warren, interesting times!

• Ginette Van Praag (View all users posts) 06 Feb 2017 3:39pm ()

Hello

Thank you Warren for starting this group :-)

As one of the 9 organisations working on the Strengthening Digital Technologies project I just wanted to let you know that I am developing a range of teaching units for year 6-9 using the Raspberry Pi.

The topics are:

1. What is a Computer? Inquiry
    2. Introduction to Algorithms and Programming with the Pi
    3. Introduction to GPIO projects (real world projects)
    4. Introduction to Programming GPIO

These are being trialed with a group of schools who have been provided with Raspberry Pis and peripherals (theirs to keep).  The teaching units will be made available for free through creative commons once the project is completed mid-year.  

If you have any questions or want more information around this please see my profile for contact details.

Ngā mihi

• Warren Grieve (View all users posts) 23 Mar 2017 4:54pm ()

Sounds great Ginette. I would be keen to support in any way. Exterior trialling? Will send email.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 24 Mar 2017 4:12pm ()

Here's something to brighten up your Friday afternoon if you haven't already seen it?

Digital Technologies and The New Zealand Curriculum – what’s it all about?

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 19 May 2017 5:08pm ()

Kia ora tatou, just thought I'd pop a notice in here for anyone interested in our up-coming webinar next Wednesday, 3.45pm with Nick Booth talking about the amazing things his secondary students are doing with technology, robotics, coding etc. Feel free to pass it on...be great to see you there and love to hear your stories as well.

smiley LIVE WEBINAR: Robotics, coding and 3D printers, 25 May, 3:45-4:45 pm

Robotics

What do you think of this? Here are some secondary students designing and printing parts for moving vehicles using a 3D printer and then creating some code to make them move. Inspiring! In this webinar, we talk to those involved  at Pakuranga College and find out why and how the students were able to get inventive with robotics, coding and 3D printers. REGISTER NOW!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Digital Technologies: Ideas, implementation, inspiration for the new curriculum.

Digital Technologies: Ideas, implementation, inspiration for the new curriculum.

A group to help us explore the new Digital Technologies curriculum as it unfolds. Join today to share your thoughts, ideas, experiences and resources.