Search

What does LT Planning in a collaborative learning space look like...

• Public
Started by Carly Kidd 28 Feb 2017 10:34am () Replies (6)

Kia Ora,

I've been searching, thinking and discussing with some of my Colleagues Long term planning for reading, writing and maths...

We currently have 5 teachers in our year7/8 team using student data to drive teaching programmes. By this I mean analysing what students need, offering workshops on a 2 -4 week cycle (all referenced to LIs and SC) and students sign up based on their own analysis of their assessments ( all based on NZC of course!). Planning is very collaborative and I feel, meeting the individual needs of our students. This of course changes based on whether a student grasps the concept or not, students and teachers make this decision together (where possible).

So my question that I would like your help with is... does LT planning have a place in this environment? And if so how does it fit- without planning overload?

Has anyone out there mastered this? Have advice/ideas about it? Or trialling formats that they are willing to share?

Thanks in advance!

Carly

Replies

• Steve (View all users posts) 28 Feb 2017 11:02am ()

Good Question 

We posed the same question. Yearly big question ideas about T1Ko au, T2 me in class, T3 me at school, T4 me in a global society were fairly straight forward and allowed for creative designing. However we weren't constrained by them and were flexible. They blended mid terms as opposed to end of term. This created opportunities for responsive curriculum design. I posed this question at educamprotovegas 2017 "ILE's are 3D in practice/ pedagogy yet our planning is 2D......what considerations are needed?" Hope this helps

• Yvonne Catherwood (View all users posts) 10 Mar 2017 2:49pm ()

In these times of focusing on individual pathways and student led inquiry, it can be difficult to plan ahead, so what we have found helpful in our school is to closely monitor where we have been rather than dictate where we want to go. We make sure that we meet the needs of the curriculum this way and we can alter the direction of our focus if we need to. Our students are constantly monitoring their own progress which means that they often set the goals and direction of their own learning.  

• traceycringle (View all users posts) 12 Mar 2017 12:28pm ()

I think Steve has the answer - the LTPs need to have 'wriggle room'. A colleague of mine teaches in a Reggio-inspired school and they are unable to plan ahead because they don't know in which direction the students will want to go. That said, you do need to profile your class carefully, and know exactly what needs students have and be plan to address them within the confines of the learning opportunities that arise.

Has anyone else out there got some challenging 'big ideas' that they use to theme their way through the year?

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 14 Mar 2017 9:29pm ()

I love your presentation title Steve and your big overarching themes. Yvonne, your comments around individual pathways and planning from 'where they've been' are useful places to start. Thank you Tracey for sharing how you scope the needs of your students, which helps to open up possibilities for student-led inquiry learning. I'd love to hear more about Reggio-inspired teaching and learning, maybe your friend could share more about this with us?

I just want to quickly cross-post some comments I added to this rich discussion started by Justin Hickey recently, Do we need to question the way we assess? 

The learning environment needs to be very clear about what is expected, what learners are doing, and why. Otherwise, motivation decreases, students are less able to fit discrete activities into larger knowledge frameworks, and they are less likely to become self-regulated learners.

Formative assessment should be substantial, regular and provide meaningful feedback; as well as feeding back to individual learners, this knowledge should be used constantly to shape direction and practice in the learning environment.  The nature of learning (OECD) P12

Key ideas for me?

• Clear learning intentions
    • Formative assessment
    • Feedback

We all know assessment informs next steps for teaching and learning, the challenge in an innovative environment is where teachers (in the pursuit of coverage) are responsible for creating opportunities for students to achieve to the best of their abilities across the breadth and depth of the New Zealand Curriculum (NZC). Two questions for me...

• Where do these experiences/opportunities come from? 
    • Is everyone on the same page about assessment across your school/kura (including parents and whānau)?

Here's some big themes or rich concepts ideas and you all might like to dive in and add your stories about student inquiry in a thread started by Mike Perry, What's happening at your place? Love to hear more smiley

• Carly Kidd (View all users posts) 28 Apr 2017 5:31pm ()

Thanks everyone for your replies, at this stage I am still unsure of what is expected... what will ERO expect to see? I am not one for planning for planning sake, so I really want to make sure that what we are doing is, first and foremost - meeting the needs of our students and supporting/maximising teaching and learning. So at this stage we are still going to complete LT plans which is of course based on student needs from e-asTTle testing, teacher observations and other sources. Here is a sample template that I have created and is being trialled in our school. It is something that I have adapted over the last few years from a previous school and have made changes to, to hopefully make it purposeful in an ILE with 5 teachers. The idea would be that all teachers can see and share resources if they are teaching similar concepts and if one teacher has a concept that you may have lots of great links/tools for that you can easily drop them into their resources section. The most valuable part for us is the modelling books used for each reading group (not on the plan, but would be linked to it in the resources section) this is shared with the reading group to be able to work in and other students to view. It enables students to have access anytime and the teaching team to see what is being taught and use ideas from each other.

Feedback gratefully received! Thanks in advance :)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ee3aMLC7vmnPsPr2nreO-pZBQGAP3LV8SLDITXrDmkM/edit

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.