Search

Enabling e-Learning forum: Digital technologies in the national curriculum

Digital Technologies will introduced as a part of the Technology Learning area in The New Zealand Curriculum and Te Marautanga o Aotearoa in 2018 and at this stage a roll out of consultation workshops is happening round the country. These changes mean this will be the first time the curriculum has been updated since 2007. Developments so far include clarification of "big ideas" (2016) development of the draft curriculum with a trial and consultation of these key concepts in schools and kura with Hangarau Matihiko working group (2017). Stories from these trials will be available soon.

Technologies curriculum

The reorganised Technology learning area still has the three strands: technological practice, technological knowledge, and nature of technology. Below this are five new technological areas:

1. Computational thinking for digital technologies
  2. Designing and developing digital outcomes
  3. Designing and developing materials outcomes
  4. Designing and developing processed outcomes
  5. Design and visual communication.

Enabling e-Learning Digital Technologies in the Curriculum

For me this page offers new language and a lot of new learning particularly around:

For example, Computational thinking - looking at a problem in a way that a computer can help us to solve it. It seems like there is a lot of new learning required for teachers here and with a strong message of commitment from the government that our young people will be prepared for a digital future, experts in, NZTech Advance Education Technology Summit: Leading for 21st Century Learning offer some critical questions to help make this happen:

• How can teachers be prepared for the new learning environment?  

• How can teacher technology capability be developed?  

• How can we provide the tools for technology learning?  

• How can we ensure the successful development and use of resources?

It is still early days in development, but if you’re working in a school or COL (Kāhui Ako), what does this mean for you in 2018? How prepared are you and your colleagues to implement a Digital Technologies strand? What are you trialing already? What are your hopes and fears? Feel free to drop your comments below.

You might also like:

coolcoolcool Upcoming LIVE WEBINAR: Robotics, coding and 3D printers, 25 May, 3:45-4:45 REGISTER NOW!

Image source: brain

Replies

• Tama Emery (View all users posts) 12 May 2017 9:33pm ()

Kia ora koutou katoa,

My name is Tama Emery, the Community Projects Manager for 7e Systems and Community Access Group. My role pertains (in part) to the conception of quality AR, VR, MR and AI technology platforms within the community and education sectors while remaining aligned to our philosophy of succession.

Our advanced technologies are tailor made to each schools and tertiary providers needs (as described from the schools teachers, SENCO, Senior Management and/or RTLB's); allowing students and teachers to create, communicate and interact with subject/topic content and learning through cutting edge 4D, 3D, Video or Image visuals.

This particular approach comes from understanding and working towards a highly preffered Visual Learning Style as found in our research, mentoring programmes and pilot engagements. If you would like to know more on how this technology may benefit you, your school/provider and your learners please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you Tessa for the discussion topic :)

• Anaru White (View all users posts) 14 May 2017 8:32am ()

Kia ora koutou

I am fortunate to work alongside kura and schools and this post is pertinent to a lot of the discussions I am having. One project I am currently part of is designed to involve kura in Digital Fluency and build the possibilities for our tamariki with Hangarau Matihiko (Digital Technologies).

In our work with kura, we aim to identify a number of challenges and opportunities that can further enhance ākonga and kaiako use of digital learning technologies into the future. An example is to provide ongoing and tailored professional learning and development opportunities to assist kura to initiate, embed and sustain effective Māori-medium content, pedagogy and infrastructure. Perhaps this example is pertinent also to schools as well; the importance and access to sustainable support.

As we continue this project and from my other interactions I look forward to sharing the learning. Likewise, I look forward to following this discussion and hearing from others.

Hei konā

Anaru

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 26 May 2017 9:44am ()

Yesterday was a great webinar with workshop participants contributing and sharing their own knowledge (Picaxe, SumoBots and more). A HUGE thank you to Nick Booth (HOD Technology Pakuranga College, Robotics and electronics teacher) for sharing this journey with us. 

His students experience some amazing opportunities to be creative and innovative, competitive and collaborative - while developing their digital fluency in STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Maths) areas of the curriculum. Here's a snippet of the students battling it out in the SumoBots competition, which Pakuranga "does very well in".

The webinar recording is now available from Enabling e-Learning on demandRobotics, coding and 3D printers. If you want to make further contact, Nick Booth's details are part of this presentation. Also check out the twitter feed @ .

Screenshot robotics webinar

If you attended or watched this webinar, tell us what you thought?

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 04 Jul 2017 12:46pm ()

Consultation on new digital technologies content for the National

Curriculum 

28 June 2017

Consultation on new digital technologies content for the New Zealand Curriculum and Te Marautanga o

Aotearoa, the Māori-medium Curriculum, was launched today by Education Minister Nikki Kaye.

“The new curriculum content is about ensuring that students across all year levels have access to rich

learning aimed at building their digital skills and fluency, to prepare them for this world," said Minister

Kaye.

More information »

Hangarau Matihiko in the curriculum – consultation .

• Complete the online survey  seeking feedback on the proposed Digital Technologies | Hangarau

Matihiko curriculum content.

consultation workshops .

Why not get involved and help shape the future?
  • Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 01 Aug 2017 2:28pm ()

Kia ora tatou, I'm off to a consultation workshop tomorrow for the new digital technologies/ Hangarau Matihiko. I've just finished reading the support material and here are some more resources from the Ministry of Education to help inform your feedback.

In addition to this, Enabling e-Learning is hosting the following event and warmly welcomes you to join us:

smiley LIVE HANGOUT: The people share, 16 August, 3:45-4:15 pm

HangoutIn this Google Hangout we'll debate some current ideas and thinking around learning about Digital Technologies, where we unpack the addition of draft Digital Technologies in the Technology curriculum, what will this look like in your school?We'd love to hear more from you in this informal discussion/debateREGISTER NOW!

This webinar will also be supported by a thread in the Professional Learning group. 

In the meantime, if you have attended a workshop and want to add notes or discuss this further, feel free to add to this shared Google doc. Big thank you to Allanah King for starting this for us.

Also don't go past Warren Grieve's discussions and valuable collation of resources on computational thinking and designing and developing digital outcomes. What an awesome community we have!

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 15 Aug 2017 2:42pm ()

Tomorrow we invite you to join us, to discuss the implications of the new draft Digital Technologies Hangarau Matihiko portion of the Technologies curriculum in our primary and secondary schools.

smiley LIVE HANGOUT: The people share, 16 August, 3:45-4:15 pm REGISTER NOW!

Please note: If you have already registered I will email through the Google Hangout on Air / Youtube Live link tomorrow. The link is only active for one day.

This discussion is not part of the official consultation process (it would be ideal if you have already attended a consultation workshop), it really is an open opportunity for community members to consider and discuss the following questions in relation to the draft Digital Technologies Hangarau Matihiko.pdf.

• What are the drivers for change and the positive influences of digital technologies in society?       
    • What does it mean and what could it look like in our school now? What are teachers doing/could do?
    • What will schools need to do to get our students ready for the future?
    • What are the areas of concern or caution when introducing/teaching the digital technologies in the curriculum and how might we mitigate these?

In the meantime, you might be interested in this PDF doc from Australia (originally shared by Warren Grieve) that clarifies the difference between IT capabilities and Digital Technologies - something we might refer to as Learning with Digital Technologies and Learning about Digital Technologies

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 16 Aug 2017 11:11am ()

If you can't attend a consultation workshop for the new draft Digital Technologies | Hangarau Matihiko curriculum, here is a video recording of the session in Rotorua.

Digital technologies consultation workshop

If you did attend, what did you think?

• justin hickey (View all users posts) 16 Aug 2017 1:56pm ()

We were lucky to be the first consultation here on the West Coast and I have to say that one of the strengths of the consultations is the way in which they demystify computer science really well. The language around cs can be off putting particularly with words like algorithms and debugging and even computer science can immediately create walls with many. The consultation team break down the new DTC and demonstrate wonderful examples of what computational thinking and algorithmic thinking look like in the classroom. I would thoroughly recommend people attend a consultation workshop.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 17 Aug 2017 12:51pm ()

Kia ora tatou, thanks for your comments Justin and for diving into our informal discussion yesterday afternoon. I agree that both Tim and Hinerangi do well in the consultation workshops to make relevant connections to what we already do in terms of computational thinking and what we can do with our students - both plugged and unplugged. More notes can be found in the growing shared Google doc.

It was also a great introduction to what Tim Bell calls the ABC of scary words: Algorithm, Binary, Coding, and demonstration of how computers ‘read’ data and information and detect errors, ie bar codes, QR codes, bytes of encryption using binary code. Comments like the following also made sense;

We want our kids not just to be users of algorithms but end up in a place where they understand and use them. Once they see these patterns, they can start to understand computational thinking.

Digital technologies webinar screenshot

Yesterday's informal discussion ended up being hosted in Adobe Connect. It wasn't part of the consultation process, rather a chance for us to chat about the drivers for change and implications/challenges for teachers and organisations as we introduce and implement the newest parts of the Technology curriculum.

Thank you to all those attended (big thank you to Tim Bell for attending as well), a rich discussion ensued where we realised being part of a bigger learning community is invaluable as we lead changes in this area. Feel free to watch the recording, The People Share: Digital Technologies | Hangarau Matihiko draft discussion and on-share to others who couldn't attend.

Also feel free to add your own comments in this thread - we'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences as well as we dive deeper into Digital Technologies | Hangarau Matihiko draft.

• MisterDRoberts (View all users posts) 18 Aug 2017 1:44pm ()

I will add that the consultations went well in Wellington. I had the pleasure of attending all three.  So many things to feedback in the survey. Lots of questions over content and delivery. Compulsory or not at 9/10? Developing a model for delivering PD (I have a whole heap of ideas having attended CS4PD and had various meetings). The future looks promising . . . the draft curriculum will change . . . will an infrastructure of $ and time  & PD be put into place? . . . . . Exciting times ahead  (now I have to go and make sense of my 9 pages of questions and points to raise)

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.