Search

Question - Creating a personalized e-asTTle writing prompt?

• Public
Started by MichelleNZ 31 Aug 2017 12:20pm () Replies (11)

Does anyone/school have experience with creating an e-asTTle writing prompt rather than using the ones available? We are interested in attempting this and would appreciate any advice or expertise from the community.

Regards,

Michelle

Replies

• terrywithers (View all users posts) 01 Sep 2017 6:55am ()

Hi Michelle, each term we create our own according to our concept.  We also give students the freedom to choose what they want to write.  If you email me I am happy to share (I will check with our literacy leader to see if that's okay - sure it is). 

Cheers

Terry

• ninab (View all users posts) 13 Sep 2017 2:18pm ()

I would be really interested in learning more about this as well if you are able to share...

Nina

• Rosemary (View all users posts) 01 Sep 2017 7:38am ()

We tried this but found it skewed all our results. Terry, if I could also piggyback on how you do  it, that would be wonderful.

• Brendon Anderson (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2017 8:11am ()

Hi there

Just found this...

Can I develop my own prompts?

Teachers are encouraged to use the rubric to assess writing other than that generated by the e-asTTle writing prompts. Teachers may wish to write their own prompts that relate explicitly to classroom topics of study. If they do so, consideration of the following will facilitate accurate use:

• It is recommended that results from teacher-developed prompts are not entered into the e-asTTle application. The e-asTTle application links results to particular e-asTTle prompts. It then takes into account the difficulty of the prompt when transforming rubric scores to scale scores. The difficulty level of a teacher-developed prompt is unknown.
    • Teachers and students will be able to use the rubric to determine ‘next steps’ in teaching and learning, although scale scores and curriculum levels can not be generated outside the application.
    • The rubric has been developed from students’ writing of continuous text. It is recommended that teacher-developed writing prompts maintain this feature.
    • The rubric was developed from students’ writing for five communicative purposes: to describe, explain, persuade, narrate, and recount. The rubric may also be used with other single, or multiple, communicative purposes; although not every element will always be relevant.
  • terrywithers (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2017 7:00pm ()

Hi Rosemary - not sure how it skewed the results -  as long as we made sure that the students cover a range of genre over the year (allowing us to assess them on this) the results are good to go.  It was clear to us that their strengths were in writing fiction, so we balanced that out in our teaching time.   The results did vary at times due to the different topics students were writing about but when we looked at the overall results over the year it was great.  The reason we do it like this is so that the writing is authentic and purposeful (we have just been through some PD with the marvellous Murray Gadd).  

Hope that helps.  

• MichelleNZ (View all users posts) 11 Sep 2017 9:12am ()

Terry,

We've also had PD with Murray Gadd (years ago now) and used his rubric in the past to mark our writing assessment. It would be interesting to hear what his thoughts are on e-asTTle. Are you using his rubric or the e-asTTle rubric to assess your students' writing? 

Thanks,

Michelle

• terrywithers (View all users posts) 13 Sep 2017 9:19am ()

Kia ora Michelle, we have created a rubric from the National Standards for different year levels.  Happy to share if you have an email.  The junior's rubric is more closely related to Murray Gadd's one.  We found using the e-asTTle marking guide quite lengthy and not user friendly time wise.  Our current rubric seems to be working well.

CHeers

Terry 

• Helen (View all users posts) 13 Sep 2017 10:03am ()

I also would love to have a copy if you're happy to share :) 

• MichelleNZ (View all users posts) 11 Sep 2017 9:10am ()

Thanks for all the feedback. We've had a look at the information provided by e-asTTle in regards to creating our own prompts. Our initial idea was to create our own prompts, mark them against the rubric and use the conversion table to get a curriculum level.

Conversion table from rubric scores to scale scores

The table and its associated information have been put together in response to requests from teachers and schools, particularly so that they can widen the formative use of the e-asTTle writing tool. Teachers can use the table to convert an e-asTTle rubric score to an e-asTTle writing scale score (an aWs score) and curriculum level descriptor. This should be used only when a non-standardised form of writing assessment is being undertaken, for instance, when:

• a teacher-made prompt is used
    • students have revised drafts that were originally written as part of a normal e-asTTle assessment.

Please note: Curriculum levels derived from the use of the conversion table will not correlate with results entered into e-asTTle because prompts in e-asTTle have been calibrated and ranked based on how difficult the prompt and purpose is to write. The conversion table should be used only when a non-standardised form of writing assessment is undertaken. If the the assessment has used an e-asTTle writing prompt and has been administered under standardised conditions, rubric scores should be entered into the e-asTTle application, as this will ensure the most accurate assessment for the writing. 

Is that what other people have done? 

Thanks!

• Jess Cox (View all users posts) 13 Sep 2017 9:34am ()

Hi Terry

I would be keen to view the rubric you have developed if you are ok with sharing?  

Join this group to contribute to discussions.