Search

Cloud + Google?

• Public
Started by Rebecca Ronald 31 Aug 2017 4:33pm () Replies (7)

Do you know of any school who have moved their school servers to the cloud and are using Google as their main way of storing/sharing files, and who have their servers in the cloud using Azure AD or similar? Someone asked me today if it’s possible and I know lots of schools use Google but most have on-site servers still, which is a different situation from what we were discussing.

Ta :-)

Replies

• Warren Grieve (View all users posts) 31 Aug 2017 6:43pm ()

You won't need azure, unless after using other products like OneNote, as Google Suite has admin tools to have all pupils provisioned. The question comes with what you are using for SMS and can you link this with a cloud product so you don't have to have data entered into two places and constantly updated in two places. If handling video files - reasonable quality - some schools still like to have local machines - laptops to do editing on as it is quicker.

• Rebecca Ronald (View all users posts) 31 Aug 2017 7:11pm ()

Thanks Warren. Does Kamar play nicely with Google so no double entry? ANY school examples I should look at?

• Rebecca Ronald (View all users posts) 31 Aug 2017 7:12pm ()

Sorry - no idea why my phone made the ANY be capital :)

• Warren Grieve (View all users posts) 31 Aug 2017 7:29pm ()

Google Syncing with Kamar looks a bit convoluted... but there may be a way via the Hapara app, Would contact Kamar about this.

• Saunil Hagler (View all users posts) 01 Sep 2017 9:12am ()

Hi Rebecca

We've supported a lot of schools to make the move to cloud, so can put you in touch with some if you want. You can email me direct saunil.hagler@cyclone.co.nz and I'll connect you with some similar to yours.

• Mark Edwards (View all users posts) 06 Sep 2017 9:56am ()

Hi Rebecca,

Kamar provides a hosted version so it can be cloud, the issues come when you want to use resource hungry software like Photoshop, video editing and music software that your teachers may be attached to or no available cloud alternative....Library software can also be an issue however there are usually cloud versions of the most common library packages it's usually at a higher price.

A good start would be to contact Robert Scott from the Ministry of Education who is the project lead for the MOE School’s Cloud Transformation Project who could talk with your IT and help plan a path forward.

It's possible but the main hurdles is Staff and training on use and really at the end of the day management and IT should plan a path forward and cut the cord so there isn't 2 options.

Mark

Join this group to contribute to discussions.