Search

Te Wiki o te Reo Māori

Started by Anaru White 11 Sep 2017 1:59pm () Replies (6)

Kia ora tātou e whakanui ana i tēnei wiki o tī tātou reo.

Links to resources to support Te Wiki o te Reo Māori. If you have any to add please comment below.

Replies

• Sam McNeill (View all users posts) 12 Sep 2017 1:01pm ()

Kia ora Ānaru,

Tessa suggested I cross-post my message from the MLE thread earlier this morning in here and I'm happy to do so.

I'm sure most of you know that it is Te Wiki O Te Reo Māori this week and this has got me thinking.... how can we cherish the taonga that is our Reo and could technology play a role in connecting aspiring learners who wish to kōrero Māori more with an older generation who perhaps have the time to support them in this.

I freely admit I've borrowed some of my thinking from Sugata Mitra (and let's be honest, he's not a bad source of inspiration!) and blogged a few musings down here:

https://samuelmcneill.com/2017/09/11/the-kuia-cloud-musings-on-te-reo/

Wouldn't it be wonderful if a resource like this Kuia Cloud (Granny Cloud) existed to help our ākonga become more fluent?

I'm not suggesting I have all the answers here but certainly wanting to spark the conversation and see if collectively there was something that could come to fruition from this spark of an idea!

Ngā mihi nui,

Sam

• Anaru White (View all users posts) 13 Sep 2017 10:25am ()

Kia ora e hoa

Thanks again sharing your thoughts and starting this conversation. Without ideas things don't happen and we all want what's best.

Anaru

• Rachel Whalley (View all users posts) 12 Sep 2017 11:41pm ()

Kia ora Sam

You may have noticed that i tried to comment on your blog post, but somehow i lost in the ether. Anyhow i thought it was important to follow up on this with you so here is my second attempt :)

So firstly we have Networked Nannies / Konnected Kuia teaching children all around NZ online through the VLN Primary. Koka Jules has been teaching te reo Māori online since 2011. Here is the info about our Virtual Rumaki. Our model is not a volunteer model but one where the schools collaborate to provide a teacher to share from their own schools or to contribute funds to bring an expert in to teach across our schools. The VLN Primary developed to meet that need by providing the support for this collaborative network, the coordination and the professional development for teaching and learning online. Any children from any school are welcome to participate.

I don't want to pop your bubble on Sugata's model and no doubt you might have a good crack at it and enjoy some success with it, but here are a couple of insights from our experience.

We have had a couple of awesome teachers who were happy to volunteer their time to teach our children. One was a Science teacher, the other taught Cook Islands Māori They were amazing, amazing teachers. Retired, hugely knowledgeable, passionate about their subject and keen to connect with our children. We were in the end unable to sustain those connections because of the amount of wrap around support they needed to be able to teach online. I was co-teaching with them both for a couple of terms which was a privilege, but one I didn't have the time for. It is a rare thing to find a person with the knowledge and the willingness to teach our children in their area of expertise, it is even rarer to find that combined with a minimum level of digital skills needed to teach online. Even with today's easy technology, our volunteer teachers were struggling to teach independently.

My second insight - or opinion, if you like is - education should not be a voluntary pursuit. The government should ensure that children are able to access the curriculum & in this case te reo Māori. By relying on the goodwill of volunteers you are not building the capacity of teaching te reo māori in schools in a sustainable way. 

Te reo Māori is our schools' greatest area of need and the VLN Primary would welcome any support Microsoft can provide to strengthen our programmes. If you work for Microsoft you probably know Michael Brick? He is on our Governance team. He could fill you in some more on what we do.

BTW if your daughter's school doesn't offer te reo māori or any other programmes that she needs you should look at the opportunities the VLN clusters, NetNZ or the VLN Primary can provide.

• Anaru White (View all users posts) 13 Sep 2017 10:27am ()

Kia ora Rachel

Interesting and valid points you make around valuing and resourcing of te reo Māori teaching and learning. The VLN Primary is a wonderful resource for schools.

Anaru

• Sam McNeill (View all users posts) 13 Sep 2017 4:03pm ()

Kia ora Rachel,

Great to get your insights into what has worked or not worked. I do know Michael Brick but did not realise he was on the governance team.

I think the reason why the original "grannies in schools" concept worked was because they were not really required to be "teaching" in the formal sense as we might understand it. Instead, they were simply talking conversationally with the students and in doing so help them master English better.

That is, to some extent, what I was thinking of for this as well - the idea that for someone like me who I would describe as a beginner, could actually have an opportunity to kōrero with a fluent speaker who is happy to simply be patient and talk back and correct me where necessary. Not a trained teacher (who should be paid for their skills and expertise), but someone who does have time and is happy to volunteer to simply be available and chat a few hours a week. 

The reality is, for many people they don't know anyone first hand who can competently kōrero Māori and so to be able to connect digitally with someone who is patient and encouraging would be fantastic. I had someone respond via email to my original blog and say as an adult learner they were unaware of options in this space (of course, there are a few e.g. TWOA, most Polytechnics etc).

So, my ambitions would not be to replace the very real need for schools to be doing more and delivering better in this space for our current students, but merely to supplement what is/is not being done with a service where people can safely practice their Reo and be encouraged and nurtured.

Again, thanks for your thoughts and wisdom from your experience.

Ngā mihi,

Sam

Join this group to contribute to discussions.