Search

Free iOS app to help visually impaired students/staff learn

Started by Sam McNeill 18 Sep 2017 8:18pm () Replies (3)

Evening Team,

A couple of weeks ago I had one of those "wow" moments when I saw the "Seeing AI" app demo'ed live for me in a presentation (to the MoE funnily enough). It really felt like a moment of science fiction for me.

It's taken me a few days to get back to it but I've downloaded and played with the Seeing AI app on my iPhone today and it's blown my mind.

I don't usually "promote" apps or anything like that (and the fact this is made by Microsoft Research is entirely coincidental), however I share this purely because I can imagine this could literally be a game changer for a visually impaired student or staff member you may work with:

https://samuelmcneill.com/2017/09/18/helping-the-blind-to-see-a-i-the-all-seeing-eye/

If you have students or staff in your schools that are blind please do consider letting them know of this app (currently, iOS only it would seem). I remember my high school days and there was a boy in my year who was legally blind but could see indistinct shapes. He literally had a mini telescope to help him see text (barely) - an app like this would have revolutionised his schooling I'm sure.

Cheers,

Sam

Replies

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.