Search

iPads in the Junior Classroom

Started by Jade Kylee Butler 06 Dec 2011 6:49pm () Replies (133)

Hi, I would love to know what others are doing with iPads in their classrooms!  I am in a year two class and we have been doing a range of things with them in our room! 

- I use them as part of my reading rotation and specify what apps I want the students to use. 

- I also use it as part of my maths rotation and again specify the apps I want the students to use. 

- I have also got apple t.v set up in my room and use this to airplay shared reading!  My students love reading along with the wonkey donkey! 

- I have also used mirroring and the whiteboard app in a maths group situation where students solve problems on their iPad and then turn the mirroring on as they share how they solved the problem with others!

- I have also worked with students to create their own comic lifes about atheletics day.

Would LOVE to hear what others are doing!

Replies

• Onieka (View all users posts) 22 Feb 2016 5:15pm ()

I am using Seesaw learning journal with my year 1/2 class. It's a great tool for children to show their learning as they can record, draw, take pictures or video. Seesaw then allows you to share on their learning with parents. My students really enjoy using this app.smiley 

• LukeNola (View all users posts) 15 Jul 2015 12:35pm ()

Here is the video, made in about 5 mins.

The Ranger from Luke Nola on Vimeo.

• LukeNola (View all users posts) 15 Jul 2015 12:31pm ()

Jade do please try our free Little Legends Strorybuilder app. We've been testing it in schools with iPads and have had amazing results from students who don't usually imagine themselves as authors. The fun thing is they can immediately share their work as movies on Vimeo.  This is The Ranger by Na Ngahu.The Ranger

• Jerome Lacoste (View all users posts) 10 Jul 2015 6:24am ()

Hello all,

I hope this post is appropriate!

As you may see from my profile, I work for a startup making math educative apps. We've released 2 games already, DragonBox Algebra and DragonBox Elements which you may have heard of.

We're very happy to announce that we're about to launch our new game, DragonBox Numbers, targeted towards kids 4 to 7. The game's core is based on the Cuisenaire rods, a montessori like pedagogical tool. The launch of the game will happen in New Zealand this week-end followed by more countries at the end of August.

We're looking for people with pedagogy background who might want to beta test our product (beta testing requires IOS 8).

Here's a preview video of the game: 

More information: http://www.wewanttoknow.com/numbers/ and the form to request beta access.

Feel free to spread this post around :) Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions,

Cheers,

Jerome

• Angela (View all users posts) 03 May 2015 8:03pm ()

Hi

I have a New Entrant class and we have been using Story Patch. It was free but now there is a small cost. Children who are reading at Yellow level can write stories independently, include relevant pictures and save. They also return to their work to edit. Their work is saved and emailed to parents plus put on the class website as a PDF.

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 04 May 2015 9:57am ()

Hi Angela

That sounds like a useful app. Can the students add their own photos and drawings to their stories? I'd love to see a link to your class website so I can see how it all looks and how you add the pdfs too.

Thanks

Carol

• Angela (View all users posts) 04 May 2015 7:58pm ()

Hi Carol

In reply to your question about Story Patch. You can only use the app's illustrations although you can adapt these to create your own illustration. I use this app as it can be used at a basic level, ideal for New Entrants. They are also easily able to find relevant illustrations for their stories. To insert the PDF's into my Google site I save the PDFs as images, then insert images into the webpage.  Here is a link to the webpage where I have included the PDFs. https://sites.google.com/a/pigeon-mountain.school.nz/room10pmps/written-language

Angela

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 04 May 2015 9:54pm ()

That looks great, thanks for sharing, Angela. That looks like they could produce stories quite quickly, and a good idea of yours to publish on your site as jpegs. I like your class site, too. I'll have a closer look at the app.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 02 May 2015 9:02pm ()

Book Creator is my fave app. We took it up a notch last year by publishing the books we made using Book Creator to iTunes.

Here is the workflow for what we did on my blog.

http://allanahk.edublogs.org/2014/11/19/writing-books-for-itunes/

The first time was a bit tricky but as with anything once you have done it once the process is easy.

• Claire Blomgren (View all users posts) 03 May 2015 1:20pm ()

Hi Alannah, I am using Book Creator with my Y3/4 for wring at the moment.  I use mirroring on apple TV to model process to whole class. Then 1 group per week is able to work directly on iPads after planning on conventional paper and pen then write directly on Book Creator. When finished they read it on ibook. Working Well. Last term we used Brushes for drawing backgrounds and characters or took photos of them selves or backgrounds. These were exported to photos. We then used them in Puppet Pals so their plays are there own work. Both really successful. Cheers Claire

• Tara O'Neill (View all users posts) 02 May 2015 3:11pm ()

I use book creator with 5 and 6 year olds.  They are enjoying recording their inquiries onto it and especially writing with the pencil using their finger.  We then enjoy linking it to our big screen TV and sharing with each other.  

• Catherine Lynagh (View all users posts) 02 May 2015 2:23pm ()

I have heard a few people mentioning Book Creator - what ages are you using this with?  We have just got iPads and requested Book Creator, but only the senior classes ended up getting it.  Would love to hear from anyone who has used Book Creator with kids up to Year 4, how you are using it and how you find it.

Also, can you create talking animal characters in Puppet Pals?

• Barbara Reid (View all users posts) 02 May 2015 3:01pm ()

Hi Catherine

I used it the other day with 5 and 6 year olds. They used it to retell their ANZAC Day learning. They were able to take the photos, make choices about choosing which photos  were best and why, edit photos, add text to a sequenced story, record audio etc as well as using the text / page backgrounds. The teacher followed it up the next day with a story about making fudge. Their next step would have been to save as a video and share on the class blog. The kids loved it and were able to use it independently in a very short time and were all helping each other and then teaching the next group. 

• Cherryl Eden (View all users posts) 02 May 2015 3:03pm ()

I have a year 1 class and the Book Creator App is a very useful learning tool. Children quickly learn to use it to work collaboratively writing and illustrating books. It has a variety of features. Children can then record them selves, add photos, do drawings etc. etc.This is a very  useful Junior School app.  You can save and share by sending to Vimeo. The teacher can also prepare the book before the lesson and then the children edit.

We love Puppet Pals. If you have The Directors Pass children can take photos of them selves and insert into their background picture. They can record themselves reading and sharing ideas about Topic work etc. My children conduct little interviews to share ideas.

• LukeNola (View all users posts) 31 Mar 2015 5:17pm ()

Hi Jade, can I please suggest our new app for story telling? It's free and kids can automatically share their talking e-book stories with the world with a click. Little Legends Storybuilder is NZ own answer to Puppet Pals and Toon Heroes except kids invent their own characters and stories set in Aotearoa. Please give it a go and feedback most welcome. Luke

Little Legends iTunes - 

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/little-legends/id952611095?mt=8

• Julie Phillips (View all users posts) 22 Mar 2015 6:58pm ()

I don't think you can beat Pic Collage as a creative app for the children to use in literacy.  I use it for the children to follow up their reading  eg write summaries, predictions and illustrate with photos, making posters and banners to illustrate the main idea or recommend books, record observations, illustrate points with photos and captions.  The options are endless.  We don't print them out but share them via email with parents as a record of work or via the reflector for other learners in the class.  The children quickly become experts at using the app - it's a tool that really works.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.